Register to reply

Yield Stress/Endurance Limit

Share this thread:
JD88
Nov30-09, 08:09 PM
P: 110
Does anyone know or know of a good resource where I can find the yield stress and endurance limit of ASTM A513 steel?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
darkside00
Nov30-09, 08:12 PM
P: 83
ASME Section II
JD88
Dec1-09, 01:45 PM
I am sorry, how is this supposed to help. I google ASME section II and found nothing useful. Am I missing something? If anyone knows the values or can give a good resource I would really appreciate it.

FredGarvin
Dec1-09, 03:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Yield Stress/Endurance Limit

ASTM A513 is a spec for tubing using carbon or alloy steel. Can you be a bit more specific with what you need?
JD88
Dec1-09, 07:31 PM
I am sorry if I am not specific enough, I unfortunately dont know much about this kind of thing. Anyways, all I really know is that we have 1" OD steel tubing with 1/8" wall thickness and I was told that it is ASTM A513-07.

Hopefully this helps.
FredGarvin
Dec2-09, 08:55 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Whoever told you that you can find material properties from that spec is mistaken. The spec covers multiple alloys and governs the geometric manufacturing properties of tubes more specifically "Standard Specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing."

There is a table in the back of the spec that covers approximately 15 alloys having varying properties. You need to find out the exact alloy used to make the tube you have. I have attached a snippet of the total table that gives the varying alloy requirements. Hopefully since it is only a single page there won't be any issues with copyright stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
astma513-08a.jpg  
Mech_Engineer
Dec2-09, 10:24 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
I might try looking in the MMPDS or MIL-HDBK-5J to see if the specific alloy you're looking for is in there. Both publications are a strong resource for a limited number of steel, alumuinum, magnesium, and titanium alloys.

Register to reply