Register to reply

Chess and IQ, chess and checkers

by SystemTV
Tags: checkers, chess
Share this thread:
Pattonias
Dec23-09, 07:47 AM
P: 378
At what point did IQ become the determining factor in a chess game?

Or better yet, when was IQ ever decided to be a game of competing IQ?
Gerenuk
Dec23-09, 09:36 AM
P: 1,060
Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
Or better yet, when was IQ ever decided to be a game of competing IQ?
Did you mean who said chess measures IQ?
I think chess and IQ are different dimensions, even though there might be some correlations. But in any case chess is a game that requires skills that not many people can achieve. And whoever thinks otherwise is welcome to prove us wrong, by actually trying to play that game.
bassplayer142
Dec25-09, 01:10 AM
P: 422
Just practice won't let your brain decide and and foresee moves in advance. Most grandmasters look at every possibility on both sides up to many many moves in advance. As far as I'm concerned, no amount of practice would allow my brain to see that far ahead.
SystemTV
Dec25-09, 12:21 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
Mastermind follows completely deterministically
Mastermind, Super Mastermind, and also Supermind - http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=364304
are basing on randomness, chess not
Quote Quote by Gerenuk
I just believe SystemTV has some personally issues with someone who beat him at chess. He clearly doesn't know much about this game, the way he writes.
no I haven't, for many years I was a fan of chess, I had even some achievements on that field, and I know much more than you about this game, taking the way I write - you should read again first post and rethink it because you didn't get a clue at all (you only repeat commonplace opinions about chess).
Chess it is the same what checkers, exactly the same !
taking Levitt equation: Elo ~ (10 x IQ) + 1000, player with elo 1700 can have higher IQ than player with 2500 elo - and taking also fact that chess is so schematic there exist rather some form of negative correlation between chess and IQ (in other words normal people don't have time to master brainless patterns which are needed to achive level above class A in chess, only persons with specific narrow minded personality think that such thing is worth so many time)
Quote Quote by Gerenuk
But in any case chess is a game that requires skills that not many people can achieve
Quote Quote by bassplayer142
Just practice won't let your brain decide and and foresee moves in advance. Most grandmasters look at every possibility on both sides up to many many moves in advance. As far as I'm concerned, no amount of practice would allow my brain to see that far ahead.
myths
Gerenuk
Dec25-09, 12:35 PM
P: 1,060
Quote Quote by SystemTV View Post
no I haven't, for many years I was a fan of chess, I had even some achievements on that field, and I know much more than you about this game, taking the way I write - you should read again first post and rethink it because you didn't get a clue at all (you only repeat commonplace opinions about chess).
I'm surprised you write all that including the first post. I suppose you thought chess is all about learning the secret schematical trick, but after a few successes against weaker players you got stuck and were frustrated that it isn't that easy. If you don't want or can't learn chess, then you can learn another game. But there is no point disqualifying that game by saying "I can't beat the better players, but this game is useless anyway and if you told me the secret trick I could beat you." Don't you think that sounds ridiculous?

Chess it is the same what checkers, exactly the same !
Obviously the rules are different and I can asure you that a world class chess player would have to learn checkers anew.

(in other words normal people don't have time to master brainless patterns which are needed to achive level above class A in chess, only persons with specific narrow minded personality think that such thing is worth so many time)
Don't make a fool out of yourself by saying "I'm too intelligent to learn chess. And if only I had time I would be world champion". That sounds like an 11 year old.
My advice again: Just go and learn a game of your choice to prove your intelligence. And before you have succeed stop claiming you could do everything if only you wanted.
SystemTV
Dec25-09, 12:59 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by Gerenuk
I suppose you thought chess is all about learning the secret schematical trick, but after a few successes against weaker players you got stuck and were frustrated that it isn't that easy
you didn't get a clue
trambolin
Dec25-09, 01:18 PM
P: 341
IQ is not a scientific quantity. Do something useful.
Hurkyl
Dec25-09, 11:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,099
I'm going to close this thread before it gets (more) heated. Two reminders for all involved:

(1) We don't accept insults here
(2) We don't accept oracles here

Register to reply