BBT's Portrayal of Nerds: Offensive or Accurate?

In summary: I hate that show. Every time I look for new torrents on a site like the pirate bay I always see a highly seeded torrent with the words big bang theory in the title and i get really excited, thinking that someone has made a new science special about the big bang. So, without looking at the description I download it and then find out it's a stupid sitcom. The writing also stinks.The show is funny because it is oh so true :) And of course because Jim Parsons plays Sheldon so brilliantly.I actually rank Big Bang Theory higher than Seinfeld.
Yea, I think the balloon blew away from the release of the gas rather than floated. Although, with a heavy gas, you have to be careful because it won't leave your lungs naturally since it sinks to the bottom. My professor made a demonstration with a heavy gas once, but he had to basically half-invert himself to get the gas out of his lungs.

Physics news on Phys.org
netgypsy said:
The physics majors and researchers back then had a very low opinion of the engineering majors however, and felt that they were socially inept and that the only reason they majored in engineering was because they couldn't make it as a physics major. Humility was obviously not a common trait in that group of physics majors and physicists.

Very pompous self centered as*es, from an enginner's POV

i generally like the show

but I find the chance of four educated guys's common obsession with comics rather unbelievable

DaveC426913 said:
I did, but my !&$#!#* Rogers PVR stopped recording 10 seconds before curtain.

Um, you guys know the CBS website hosts the recent episodes for free right?

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/video/

arabianights said:
i generally like the show

but I find the chance of four educated guys's common obsession with comics rather unbelievable

Yer not hanging around the right comic book stores ... bazzinga ...hehehe

Three of the four of us house-rommies were into comics.
Does this make your disbelieving a little less? :)

I find the premiss quite believable. ... except for Penny ... lol j/k

( we didn't have a penny...
... we were poor College students. )

Alfi said:
I find the premiss quite believable. ... except for Penny ... lol j/k

( we didn't have a penny...
... we were poor College students. )

Which is why they made a TV show about them and not you. :smile: They don't tell stories about regular situations such as four guys in a dorm with no girl.

It's why the story of Star Trek is about the larger-than-life events of the U.S.S. Enterprise, the best ship in the fleet and its heroic crew, and not about her under-performing sister ship the U.S.S. Incontinent that, due to a mishap with a hooker and a galley replicator, lost thruster control and dove into a star.

What Sheldon would say...

tumblr_l31ue6iPbh1qz9my9o1_500.gif

Did I hear about the Higgs boson? Yes, fifteen years before I was born. This is all very cute but isn't it rather meaningless given the grander proposition of M-Theory, which is obviously correct?

I've seen a couple of episodes and they surely are funny! I love the concept (science + jokes) and how the characters crack jokes with their faces dead serious, although, for the not-so-geeky peeps out there, they wouldn't get the jokes straight if it's about quantum and stuff.

And I like this line of Sheldon: "One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."

I don't know if this has been brought up already in this thread.
But how many of you feel the latest season is not as great as the first 3 were.

This usually happens with most sitcoms, the punches are exhausted in the first 2-3 years. Later seasons run mostly on earlier popularity.

Its not as if the season 5 is not funny but it doesn't match to classic episodes such as 'Friendship Algorithm' 'Electric Can Fluctuation' etc.

I recently saw a clip on youtube in which Sheldon doesn't worry about his 'spot'.
Perhaps they want to evolve the characters. I personally wish that a show never reach a 'conclusion' in the form of a happy ending and that the gags never stop coming.

I never really got this show. The whole appeal seems to be "LOOK HOW NERDY THESE GUYS ARE! LOLOLOLOL". It's just not funny to me. Especially with the overused laugh track. It makes it even less funny.

There's no jokes, no plot, nothing interesting in it whatsoever. If I wanted to learn physics, I'd read a physics book. Even then, it seems like they just like to use big words (even if the physics IS correct).

glb_lub said:
But how many of you feel the latest season is not as great as the first 3 were.
Is penny still on it? Check.

johnqwertyful said:
I never really got this show. The whole appeal seems to be "LOOK HOW NERDY THESE GUYS ARE! LOLOLOLOL". It's just not funny to me. Especially with the overused laugh track. It makes it even less funny.

There's no jokes, no plot, nothing interesting in it whatsoever. If I wanted to learn physics, I'd read a physics book. Even then, it seems like they just like to use big words (even if the physics IS correct).

I can only speak for myself (though I have a feeling I'm not), but when I watch it, I think "Finally! A show by people who really get us nerds!" What did we have up until now? Steve Urkel? and...uh nope, can't think of any others...

Nerd characters written by non-nerds are not funny. But a nerd character who knows that Han shot first and why http://www.nosewheelie.com/blogofthedarned/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sheldon_wolowitz.gif needs a loop counter - now that's written for me.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
and why http://www.nosewheelie.com/blogofthedarned/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sheldon_wolowitz.gif needs a loop counter - now that's written for me.

:)

That one was my favorite episode.
Do you recall the first few minutes of this one .
Sheldon is not allowed to speak about Tapioca . :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BysbVq7BL94

Classic.

Interesting trivia: Jim Galecki, who play Leonard, was in real life dating Kaley Cuoco, who plays Penny, during the first two seasons of the show. They kept it secret, even from the other cast members, and only revealed it after the relationship was over, during the third season (when the characters of penny and leonard were dating.)

More commonly known, Jim Parsons (Sheldon) is gay.

Love it.

"I don't say anything. I merely offer you a facial expression that suggests you've gone insane."
"They were threatened by my intelligence and too stupid to know that's why they hated me."
"I'm quite aware of the way humans usually reproduce, which is messy, unsanitary, and involves loud and unnecessary appeals to a deity."

DaveC426913 said:
I can only speak for myself (though I have a feeling I'm not), but when I watch it, I think "Finally! A show by people who really get us nerds!" What did we have up until now? Steve Urkel? and...uh nope, can't think of any others...

Nerd characters written by non-nerds are not funny. But a nerd character who knows that Han shot first and why http://www.nosewheelie.com/blogofthedarned/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sheldon_wolowitz.gif needs a loop counter - now that's written for me.

Yeah, that's true and all. But I still don't get how being nerdy is funny or entertaining, even if it IS accurate. Shrug.

If you like it, more power to ya, but I guess I just don't "get it". Maybe I don't associate myself as a "nerd"? I'm just a man who likes physics and math and engineering and stuffs.

johnqwertyful said:
If you like it, more power to ya, but I guess I just don't "get it".

De gustibus non disputandum est, and all that jazz. People can be surprisingly unpredictable in their sense of humor. I like old slapstick stuff like the Three Stooges, and Laurel and Hardy, which don't do anything for my wife. But we both like The Big Bang Theory.

jtbell said:
De gustibus non disputandum est, and all that jazz. People can be surprisingly unpredictable in their sense of humor. I like old slapstick stuff like the Three Stooges, and Laurel and Hardy, which don't do anything for my wife. But we both like The Big Bang Theory.

Definitely. There have been times I've found things hilarious, no one else seems to find funny. It's usually when it's in real life, situations and the like. This is one of those times it's the other way around. It's fascinating, really.

jtbell said:
People can be surprisingly unpredictable in their sense of humor. I like old slapstick stuff like the Three Stooges, and Laurel and Hardy, which don't do anything for my wife.
Er... Man likes Three Stooges. Women doesn't.

Who'do thunk that?

:tongue2:

johnqwertyful said:
I never really got this show. The whole appeal seems to be "LOOK HOW NERDY THESE GUYS ARE! LOLOLOLOL". It's just not funny to me.

This. Seems to me like all the "jokes" consist of is "WE'RE REFERENCING NERD STUFF, NOW LAUGH!" References by themselves do not make comedy.

dorker said:
This. Seems to me like all the "jokes" consist of is "WE'RE REFERENCING NERD STUFF, NOW LAUGH!" References by themselves do not make comedy.
No.
"We're making comments that you recognize and you have also thought. You're not alone! Feel happy that you're part of it!"

Essentially, they're "in-jokes".

When a new PF member says hello, and a veteran welcomes them and asks what kind of fish they like, do you smile? I do. It's an in-joke that I am in on.

The IT Crowd is better than BBT imo, I've laughed at the IT crowed, I've never laughed at the big bang theory -.-

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
No.
"We're making comments that you recognize and you have also thought. You're not alone! Feel happy that you're part of it!"

I distinctly remember the audience dying in laughter at Sheldon saying his Nintendo 64 arrived, and other such "jokes".

dorker said:
I distinctly remember the audience dying in laughter at Sheldon saying his Nintendo 64 arrived, and other such "jokes".

Great news, my mom sent me my old nintendo 64
/canned laughter

DaveC426913 said:
Er... Man likes Three Stooges. Women doesn't.

Who'do thunk that?

:tongue2:

My wife and daughter are exceptions to that generalization; they both love the Three Stooges.

johnqwertyful said:

Everyone got his own taste..

I get bored after seeing repetitive humor. Now, I rarely watch Big Bang but whenever I watch, I do find it entertaining and humorous.

glb_lub said:
:)

That one was my favorite episode.
Do you recall the first few minutes of this one .
Sheldon is not allowed to speak about Tapioca . :wink:
Classic.
Yeah, his antics are hilarious. And from a biologist's perspective, it seems
I'm nerdy enough to know what Sheldon was trying to say
before he said it. :smile: That tapioca is extracted from the root of Cassava (Manihot esculenta). The unprocessed root contains cyanogenic glucosides that break down to hydrogen cyanide which can be lethal when ingested. You need to process the root properly to obtain the edible tapioca starch.

If you'd like to learn more about the writing for BBT. On Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Star Talk radio program, he interviews producer & writer Bill Prady and physics consultant http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~saltzbrg/bio.html (professor of physics, UCLA). The podcasts are available and a good listen.

Last edited:
Sheldon's ludicrous laugh gives meaning to life. It teaches us to...

I agree that it does get boring after a while as the jokes are quite repetitive. It's still pretty funny for a sitcom. I watch it time to time when I'm bored. c: And Sheldon is awesome!

I find BBT very offensive. Millions across the country laugh at Sheldon's behavior, which is essentially that of someone with autism. If someone tried to do the same thing with downs syndrome it would be shunned and pulled from the air immediately.

The show is also extremely close to nerd blackface and I personally feel like this show has gone way too far in establishing what a 'nerd' is and does. People are not archetypes.

physicsboard said:
I find BBT very offensive. Millions across the country laugh at Sheldon's behavior, which is essentially that of someone with autism. If someone tried to do the same thing with downs syndrome it would be shunned and pulled from the air immediately.

The show is also extremely close to nerd blackface and I personally feel like this show has gone way too far in establishing what a 'nerd' is and does. People are not archetypes.

Just out of curiosity, how many episodes have you watched? I ask because I found it to be somewhat offensive at first. But on a second pass I got hooked and now love the show.

As for Sheldon, I can understand the reference to autism but I think you are making too much of it. Part of the reason I find the show funny is that I can often relate to Sheldon. In fact my wife has taken great pleasure at pointing out all of the similarities between the Sheldon character and me. And I certainly don't have autism. But I do have a physics degree. :biggrin: And, I might add, some of the intellectual games people have created here at PF over the years had rules that were eerily similar in complexity to Sheldon's rules for games, which is a running joke on the show. So while the Sheldon character is obviously an amplified composite of nerdism that plays into various stereotypes, I think the show works because they so often hit the mark.

Here is the one that really set me back. I only noticed this one recently. When we have company, it bothers me if I can't sit on my regular spot on the couch! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Here is the one that really set me back. I only noticed this one recently. When we have company, it bothers me if I can't sit on my regular spot on the couch! :rofl:
I have this same problem with my physics degree. :tongue:

Borg said:
I have this same problem with my physics degree. :tongue:

What, you're not happy unless you're sitting on your physics degree? :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
What, you're not happy unless you're sitting on your physics degree? :tongue:
There are many degrees of happiness. :rofl:

Each with its own degrees of freedom :biggrin:

Ouabache said:
Yeah, his antics are hilarious. And from a biologist's perspective, it seems
I'm nerdy enough to know what Sheldon was trying to say
before he said it. :smile: That tapioca is extracted from the root of Cassava (Manihot esculenta). The unprocessed root contains cyanogenic glucosides that break down to hydrogen cyanide which can be lethal when ingested. You need to process the root properly to obtain the edible tapioca starch.

But do you agree with Sheldon when he says that Chocolate pudding is axiomatically the best pudding in the world. :biggrin:

Ouabache said:
If you'd like to learn more about the writing for BBT. On Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Star Talk radio program, he interviews producer & writer Bill Prady and physics consultant http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~saltzbrg/bio.html (professor of physics, UCLA). The podcasts are available and a good listen.

Will check those out.