Spring Constant

by christianhood
Tags: force, mass, spring constant, spring force, spring length
christianhood
Dec12-09, 08:49 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A series of masses are hung from a vertical spring and the length is measured in each case to the nearest milimeter. Data below:

Mass : Spring Length
050g : 40.2cm
100g : 45.8cm
150g : 50.9cm
200g : 56.4cm
250g : 61.4cm
300g : 66.9cm
350g : 73.7cm
400g : 81.2cm

I need to find the spring constant.

2. Relevant equations

Fs = k | l - l0| ,
where
Fs = Spring Force
k = spring constant
l = length of spring
l0 = initial length of spring

3. The attempt at a solution
I know that Fs = Fg = mass / 100 (using g = 10 N/kg).
I just don't know how to get the constant because I don't know what the initial spring length is (it's not 0).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
AEM
Dec12-09, 09:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 363
Think about the equation F = kX for a moment. What kind of graph does that make? What one of those letters represents the slope of that graph?

Can you put those hints together to figure out a way to determine the spring constant?
christianhood
Dec12-09, 09:23 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by AEM View Post
Think about the equation F = kX for a moment. What kind of graph does that make? What one of those letters represents the slope of that graph?

Can you put those hints together to figure out a way to determine the spring constant?
Oh, okay. It's the same for any initial length. Thanks :)

Register to reply