Register to reply

Spring Constant

Share this thread:
christianhood
Dec12-09, 08:49 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A series of masses are hung from a vertical spring and the length is measured in each case to the nearest milimeter. Data below:

Mass : Spring Length
050g : 40.2cm
100g : 45.8cm
150g : 50.9cm
200g : 56.4cm
250g : 61.4cm
300g : 66.9cm
350g : 73.7cm
400g : 81.2cm

I need to find the spring constant.

2. Relevant equations

Fs = k | l - l0| ,
where
Fs = Spring Force
k = spring constant
l = length of spring
l0 = initial length of spring

3. The attempt at a solution
I know that Fs = Fg = mass / 100 (using g = 10 N/kg).
I just don't know how to get the constant because I don't know what the initial spring length is (it's not 0).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
AEM
Dec12-09, 09:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 362
Think about the equation F = kX for a moment. What kind of graph does that make? What one of those letters represents the slope of that graph?

Can you put those hints together to figure out a way to determine the spring constant?
christianhood
Dec12-09, 09:23 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by AEM View Post
Think about the equation F = kX for a moment. What kind of graph does that make? What one of those letters represents the slope of that graph?

Can you put those hints together to figure out a way to determine the spring constant?
Oh, okay. It's the same for any initial length. Thanks :)

Register to reply