So I bought Windows 7, installed it, now I don't want it

by Saladsamurai
Tags: installed, windows
Saladsamurai
Dec13-09, 07:28 PM
P: 3,012
Am I screwed? I made an inquiry at the store where I bought it figuring they would not take it back since it was opened; I was right. They said that Microsoft would take it back for me and refund my money. I thought "yeah...sure they will."

Anyone have any luck taking back open MS products? I don't even know where I would start. I am going to poke around their site now.

And for anyone who is curious as to why I am returning it: It is not that I don't like it. I installed on my Mac and I am running into some compatibility issues with Boot Camp. It has been rumored that support for Win7 with Boot Camp is coming out by the year's end....but I am impatient.

Edit: This looks kind of promising.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
rootX
Dec13-09, 07:39 PM
P: 1,295
I got it from MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/academic/default.aspx
but had some video driver issues so I moved back to XP.

You could have tried trial first if not MSDN etc
Saladsamurai
Dec13-09, 07:45 PM
Well, it is a Macintosh so it is not that easy. It is not a simple upgrade or download. You need a 'full install from disc.' But I like the link anyway rootX. I am going to take a closer look at it now. Can any student take advantage? Or does your actual school have to take part in it?

rootX
Dec13-09, 07:50 PM
P: 1,295

So I bought Windows 7, installed it, now I don't want it

Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
Well, it is a Macintosh so it is not that easy. It is not a simple upgrade or download. You need a 'full install from disc.' But I like the link anyway rootX. I am going to take a closer look at it now. Can any student take advantage? Or does your actual school have to take part in it?
Schools have to take part in it and then students get most of the MS softwares for free. Second one is dreamspark:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
Saladsamurai
Dec13-09, 07:58 PM
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Schools have to take part in it and then students get most of the MS softwares for free. Second one is dreamspark:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
Yeah. Just read the rules. I don't think my school os part of it as it looks like we have our own software subsidization program. :( Ours isn't so bad though. But I don't think we are given perpetual licenses.
sportsstar469
Dec13-09, 08:19 PM
P: 92
Am I screwed? I made an inquiry at the store where I bought it figuring they would not take it back since it was opened; I was right. They said that Microsoft would take it back for me and refund my money. I thought "yeah...sure they will."

Anyone have any luck taking back open MS products? I don't even know where I would start. I am going to poke around their site now.

And for anyone who is curious as to why I am returning it: It is not that I don't like it. I installed on my Mac and I am running into some compatibility issues with Boot Camp. It has been rumored that support for Win7 with Boot Camp is coming out by the year's end....but I am impatient.

i have windows 7 dont really know the difference between it and xp, besides the fact you can shake your windows and minimize them....
rcgldr
Dec14-09, 01:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,931
I made an inquiry at the store where I bought it figuring they would not take it back since it was opened; I was right. They said that Microsoft would take it back for me and refund my money. I thought "yeah...sure they will."
Microsoft will probaly take it back, refunding you purchase price and the shipping costs as well, depending on where you live.

In most states in the USA, consumer laws regarding refunds don't make exceptions for opened software. These opened software policies are done at the behest of the software makers, and technically violate the consumer laws of many states in the USA. Technically, the store where you bought it from is responsible for the refund, but in court case settled a few years ago in California, 'Baker v Microsoft', the settlement stated that if the software companies would refund the money the purchase price and the cost to return the software (shipping costs), then the stores would be off the hook. In this particular case the issue was a disagreement over the EULA, but the cited consumer laws aren't specific to EULA's, and it's my understanding that it's a general policy.

In the case of 'defective' software being returned, I don't know what the time period is, but typically it's 30 days. In some cases with complex software it may be longer than that, but usually such complex software involves written contracts.

The full text of this settlement is available via an archive.org way back machine link:

http://web.archive.org/web/200708010...aker-Final.pdf
xxChrisxx
Dec14-09, 10:52 AM
P: 2,032
I know i'm being unhelpful with this but:

I installed on my Mac...
That's your problem right there.

As others have stated, your best bet is MS. May as well try, the worst they can say is no.
Saladsamurai
Dec14-09, 12:47 PM
Quote Quote by xxChrisxx View Post
I know i'm being unhelpful with this but:

That's your problem right there.

As others have stated, your best bet is MS. May as well try, the worst they can say is no.
Why I oughta' ......

Yeah. It seems like I have a 45 day trial period. Then I can send it to MS if necessary. I might try some virtualization software like VM Ware. Students get it for cheap :)

And I like PC as much as Mac. That's why I own both. Just trying to consolidate here.
kote
Dec14-09, 06:42 PM
P: 871
Why I oughta' ......

Yeah. It seems like I have a 45 day trial period. Then I can send it to MS if necessary. I might try some virtualization software like VM Ware. Students get it for cheap :)

And I like PC as much as Mac. That's why I own both. Just trying to consolidate here.
If you want to run Windows on top of your Mac OS, after booting to your Mac, I recommend Virtual Box. See http://www.virtualbox.org/ and http://blogs.sun.com/fatbloke/entry/..._on_virtualbox. It's free, it's easy, and it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_oSsIAwHk is supposedly a walk-through, but I didn't watch .
qedprigmosyno
Dec27-09, 01:31 AM
P: 27
Linux *KOFF KOFF*
+ I would consider dual booting if you like them both.
If you have to use virtualization, i would use virtual box.
dE_logics
Dec27-09, 11:06 PM
P: 730

Check out Windows 7 terms and conditions, they only refund if the OS fails to work or it has resulted in data loss directly caused by the software.

I don't think you will get a refund.

Linux is more compatible with MAC..there's a guide on how to do it with Ubuntu and Ubuntu's for free.
mugaliens
Dec29-09, 12:30 AM
P: 594
Am I screwed?

No, you're not screwed, as they do offer a 45-day refund. Just cross your t's and dot your i's on all requirements of their policy!

Register to reply