PH spectrum

by Rajini
Tags: spectrum
Share this thread:
Rajini
Dec28-09, 03:08 PM
P: 602
Dear all,
i need to clarify some doubts about counting radioactive sources..
For e.g., in my case i use a proportional counter (filled with Xe-gas) for detecting radioactivity..
Now if we measure a pulse height (PH) spectrum using a detector (pulse height mode) we will get a pulse height spectrum. I read in some (i forgot the name!) book and if i understood properly that the area under the whole PH spectrum is just the activity of the source measured! (off course if the detector has 100% efficiency). no more details available in that book!.
and my question is..suppose in 57CO source the 14.4 keV is only 9.2 per 100 disintegrations...then the ratio:
area under the 14.4 keV / whole area under spectrum= say 'X'. is there some possibility to connect this 'X' with 9.2%??
or knowing the geometry, i mean the distance between the source and detector and diameter etc...is there any possibility to make use of the area under a specific curve in some formula...? to get the activity of source?
PS: PH spectrum has X-axis in volts or channels (i have the spectrum and i can select channel or volts).
Y-axis is count rate (in that book they mentioned Y-axis has inverse volts)...
I guess lots of nuclear physicist in PF hopefully some one can shield light in my problem??
thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time

Register to reply