Ivan Seeking
Jan1-10, 08:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493

https://www.emerycat.com/flare/next

We're giving these a try.

The second scratching board is "free", except the shipping and handling, which is $16.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
mgb_phys
Jan1-10, 08:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Would a belt sander be quicker and cheaper ?
Ivan Seeking
Jan1-10, 09:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
That's pretty much the idea here.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=235564

Greg Bernhardt
Jan1-10, 09:05 PM
Admin
P: 8,542

Emery Cat Scratching Board

Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
i think that would scare the crap out of the cat
Moonbear
Jan1-10, 09:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I just saw those advertised on TV today. Let me know if they work. Though, even if they don't really file the nails down as promised, for two relatively nice looking scratchers, the price isn't bad just to be a scratcher as long as it lasts a decent amount of time and doesn't leave grit everywhere.
mgb_phys
Jan1-10, 09:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
i think that would scare the crap out of the cat
Entertaining though
sas3
Jan1-10, 09:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 201
“Emery Cats” who would want to pet them?
Ivan Seeking
Jan1-10, 09:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by sas3 View Post
“Emery Cats” who would want to pet them?
Emery Cat-Scratching-Board
Emery Cat Scratching-Board
Emery Cat-Scratching Board
Emery-Cat Scratching-Board
Emery-Cat-Scratching-Board
Emery Cat Scratching Board
GeorginaS
Jan5-10, 08:58 PM
P: 379
I don't know about the emery board part, but what I do know is that cats scratch stuff to mark territory. They like tall things they can stretch up as far as possible leave a mark in -- like the side of your couch and tall scratching posts -- so they can let everyone who approaches or comes into the territory know that a big, tall, strong kitty lives there. They'll also tend to do a quick claw of a small area of carpet to mark territory from scent glands in their paws.

So, it strikes me that, unless the cat perceives the horizontal thing on the floor as an area to mark, they wouldn't take an interest in it. Or, they may take an interest once, but not repeatedly. If the surface of the thing actually dulls claws, that would be cool (although cutting Bean's claws is no big deal for either of us) but to encourage the cat to want to return to the thing again and again, I would think it would have to be a part of a tall post. At least, that's what I know of cat behaviour and trying to get cats to claw horizontal things and teaching cats what stuff in the house they can claw to be all territorial with and what not.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone got one of these things and their cat is interested in it regularly.
Evo
Jan5-10, 09:02 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Don't cats scratch to sharpen their claws? It seems to me that the cat would have to scratch for a very long time to dull their nails, but it would be an excellent claw sharpener.
Ivan Seeking
Jan21-10, 06:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Don't cats scratch to sharpen their claws? It seems to me that the cat would have to scratch for a very long time to dull their nails, but it would be an excellent claw sharpener.
It's not the sharpness so much as the length. We would still need to trim the cats claws, but maybe it will help to reduce the maintenance needs with some light filing each day.

We finally got the boards and opened them yesterday. So far we have seen a little legitmate use and a lot of face rubbing for the catnip rush. Isaac is the only cat that immediately went for it as advertised, but it definitely got everyone's interest. I thought the emery board was going to be a coated plastic, but it is made of a coated cardboard pile. We recently bought a scratching post thingy that uses the same stuff, but without the emery coating, and the cats love it. Hopefully this will work. Don't know how long it will last if they make use of it. I can easily see them ripping this to pieces pretty quickly [same for the new scratching post which is looking tattered already].

The other thing that I noticed is that the abrasive is on the top surface as well as down in the ridges. I'm not sure this will fly as it must be rough on their pads.

So far, not impressed.
GeorginaS
Jan21-10, 10:58 PM
I bought a floor situated toy-scratcher-mabob for Bean. She picked all of the catnip out of the crevices and hasn't gone near the thing again.

Cat It Stuff

I saw the "emery board" scratchers in the pet store. I think their orientation is wrong for a lot of cats' purposes.
Ivan Seeking
Jan22-10, 03:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Our one cat, Isaac, is really getting with the program. We saw him hit it several times last night over a period of about two hours. Little Tyke just sits on it and tries to eat the catnip. Jack has not yet shown an interest, but he likes to rip things up, so I haven't given up on him. Unfortunately, we are most interested in Little Tyke as she has the greatest need for maintenance.
Evo
Jan22-10, 04:13 PM
Mentor
I usually let Dr Foofer (RIP) shred cardboard boxes in the spare bathroom. He'd use it as a hideout first, then slowly shred it. It meant doing a sweep once a day, but it kept him away from his favorite chair, and it was free. Cats love shredding cardboard, I think it's that gratuitous ripping feel under their claws that they like.
hypatia
Jan23-10, 05:08 AM
P: 1,296
When Mister adopted me, he was already de-clawed. Yet, he still maintains the urge to sharpen his claws. I figure while he is alive, I cannot get another cat with claws, because they would follow his lead and use the sofa or side of the bed.
GeorginaS
Jan23-10, 05:24 PM
I just watched that commercial again and I'm not sure I can count the number of things that bug me about it. One thing "special arch design". What exactly does that mean and why should I care? The "playful toy attachment". Really? The toy is playful, is it? And it's no wonder the woman can't trim her cat's claws. You don't hold them upright to your body to try and do it. A quick bit of reading would cure that pound of stupidity.

But it's like all of the other lunkhead infomercials for goofy products. The Snuggie! For people who can't seem to manage a blanket without twisting themselves up in knots. Chip bag slicers for people who can't open a cellophane package without exploding the contents of the bag out onto their head. The exaggerations are endless and annoying as all get out. Why must the commercials operate on the premise that we're all inept and stupid?

Ivan, just out of curiosity, is it possible to lean that thing up against a wall without it tipping over? I'd be interested to know whether that peaks Little Tyke's or Jack's interest. You'll notice that even in the lunkhead infomercial they show that cats claw the side of a tree and the side of a sofa. It's all vertical stuff. Just curious.
Ivan Seeking
Jan23-10, 11:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yes, it probably could be leaned against a wall or attached to something. The emery board just sits in the tray, so you don't even need the tray. Also, you could just buy the replacement units and attach them to something. I was considering attaching it to the scratching post, which suddenly seems to interest no one.

Some commercials really do stretch the idea of stupidity to the point of absurdity. But, then again, how many people can identify China on a map?

There was woman who joined the family in Portland for Christmas dinner. She had fallen for a good number of products mentioned in this forum. She has magnets in her shoes...
Evo
Jan23-10, 11:25 PM
Mentor
My cat didn't care if the object to scratch was lying on the floor. People think cats prefer something upright because, let's face it, most of the objects they can scratch are upright.

Register to reply