Conservation of momentum multiple choice

In summary, the conversation discussed the question of what occurs when a skater hops onto a free-sliding board on frictionless ice. The options of linear momentum being converted to angular momentum, kinetic energy being converted to angular momentum, rotational kinetic energy being conserved, translational kinetic energy being conserved, and both linear and angular momentum being conserved were considered. The answer was found to be A, but the teacher argued that it was actually E. The conversation concluded with the agreement that the teacher was correct and the former AP answer sheet was not reliable.
Varanasi
Here is the question

5. A long board is free to slide on a sheet of frictionless ice. As shown in the top view above, a skater skates to the board and hops onto one end, causing the board to slide and rotate. In this situation, which of the following occurs?

A) Linear momentum is converted to angular momentum.
(B) Kinetic energy is converted to angular momentum.
(C) Rotational kinetic energy is conserved.
(D) Translational kinetic energy is conserved.
(E) Linear momentum and angular momentum are both conserved.

The answer to the question I found is A. However, my teacher says it is E

Help?

BCD are obviously wrong because its Kinetic - not conserved

My problem with A is that it isn't fixed around a point, and it gives the implication that all momentum will be converted, which isn't - at least, to my thinking - true because it will move in a linear direction

For E... Conservation of momentum is my only reasoning

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean you 'found' A? How did you find it? Linear and angular momentum ARE conserved.

I guess I should have clarified

I found the answer online - its a former AP multiple choice my teacher gave us to prepare for a midterm

The AP answer sheet says the answer is A

Ok, fair enough. Then that's a pretty sad AP answer sheet. If you don't have some other reason to believe it, then I would believe your teacher. Because your teacher is right.

What is the Law of Conservation of Momentum?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total momentum of all objects before a collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system remain constant before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is typically measured in kg*m/s.

How does the conservation of momentum apply to everyday situations?

The conservation of momentum applies to many everyday situations, such as car collisions, sports, and even walking. For example, when you bump into someone while walking, the total momentum before the collision (your momentum plus the other person's momentum) is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is why you and the other person may both stumble or change direction after the collision.