Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Astronuc
Nov5-11, 02:08 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
Local towns have opened up fields where folks can dump branches, and I saw lots of people hauling branches in pickup trucks and/or on trailers. I even saw branches/trees on power lines - still - after 6 days. And there are still people without power. Most of the snow has melted. I've go a bit of cleaning up to do myself. Two of our trees lost one or more branches.

It's been below freezing the last several nights, but 40s or 50s during the day, and it's supposed to warm up to the 60s during the next couple of days.
turbo
Nov5-11, 02:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I finally got my garlic in the ground today. I didn't want to wait any longer in case we got more wild/cold weather. There are still too many leaves on my fruit trees to make pruning them viable (visibility problems), but that has to be done soon, in part to address storm damage and properly balance the trees before winter. Lost branches due to the heavy wet snow.

Central Maine Power sent line-crews to NH to help restore power, and now they are headed to CT to help out there. As of Friday, there were still over 300K customers without power in CT. CMP is volunteering 30 two-man repair trucks with buckets, so that should help.
Astronuc
Nov5-11, 03:00 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
I saw an out-of-territory crew in our area this morning. I couldn't tell if they were from out of state, or just a neighboring utility.

There is still a lot of work to do around our area.
dlgoff
Nov5-11, 07:50 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
I saw an out-of-territory crew in our area this morning. I couldn't tell if they were from out of state, or just a neighboring utility.

There is still a lot of work to do around our area.
I believe that there was a crew form Kansas City that went there; KCPL.
dlgoff
Nov7-11, 05:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It's not cold, but cool enough for rain. YEA!!!! It's been so long since I've heard thunder.
Evo
Nov7-11, 05:50 PM
Mentor
P: 25,944
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
It's not cold, but cool enough for rain. YEA!!!! It's been so long since I've heard thunder.
You've got thunder?? No fair, I've just got rain.

Make sure our chicken child, Roger, stays warm and dry.
dlgoff
Nov7-11, 06:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
You've got thunder?? No fair, I've just got rain.

Make sure our chicken child, Roger, stays warm and dry.
Well, only three of four lightning bolts .... wait, there's another.

I closed Rogers windows, put in a higher wattage bulb, and adjusted the lights timer about a week ago when the temps starting to dipping to freezing. When it starts to get really cold, she'll have a heat lamp and a water heater in her house.

A happy Roger will give us good eggs.
Evo
Nov7-11, 06:14 PM
Mentor
Well, only three of four lightning bolts .... wait, there's another.

I closed Rogers windows, put in a higher wattage bulb, and adjusted the lights timer about a week ago when the temps starting to dipping to freezing. When it starts to get really cold, she'll have a heat lamp and a water heater in her house.

A happy Roger will give us good eggs.
You are so good to her!!

I can not thank you enough for the delivery of Roger eggs!!!!! I have been eating grits and Roger eggs every day. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
dlgoff
Nov7-11, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I have been eating grits and Roger eggs every day.
How have you been preparing them? Lately I've been using my steamer and poaching two, covering with salsa and having with wheat toast. YUM
Evo
Nov7-11, 06:19 PM
Mentor
How have you been preparing them? Lately I've been using my steamer and poaching two, covering with salsa and having with wheat toast. YUM
Over easy in butter. I wish I had some salsa.

I think I'm going to make a quiche.

I wish I had asked you to include a feather. I've never had a chicken before. I'm pretty excited.
dlgoff
Nov7-11, 06:43 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I wish I had asked you to include a feather. I've never had a chicken before. I'm pretty excited.
I've haven't seen her shed a feather since the encounter with the fox. And since there's no roosters, she's slick and shinny.

BTW. This was a little while ago for Roger and I.

Attached Thumbnails
rain.jpg  
Evo
Nov7-11, 06:44 PM
Mentor
I've haven't seen her shed a feather since the encounter with the fox. And since there's no roosters, she's slick and shinny.

BTW. This was a little while ago for Roger and I.

Good grief, hope she's not afraid of thunder!!!

Looks like that won't get here until 9pm.
Borek
Nov8-11, 02:11 AM
Admin
P: 22,683
White roofs in the morning, but they are wet and steaming now.
George Jones
Nov18-11, 09:53 AM
Mentor
P: 6,040
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
Evo
Nov18-11, 11:55 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
Brrrrrrr!
turbo
Nov18-11, 12:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
My truck was all white with frost this morning. In the "heat of the day" we have climbed all the way up to 42 deg.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov18-11, 12:09 PM
P: 2,163
Sunny and 46 F here. Perfect for raking leaves.
Evo
Nov19-11, 10:36 AM
Mentor
Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away.

Register to reply