How would I make a magnet/electromagnet strong enough to lift a drum?

• Thread starter SeaCrane1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drum Lift
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating a magnet that could levitate the school band's snare drums for a big event. However, it was noted that levitation with a simple magnet is difficult and unstable, and would require a large metal base. Alternative methods, such as using thin wires for an illusion, were suggested. It was also advised to be cautious when dealing with electricity and to seek professional help.
SeaCrane1
My friend came to me today with an interesting problem. He wants to make some sort of magnet that will make the school band's drumline's snare drums, in essence, levitate. This is for a big school event and he wants to do something special this year. Is it possible to make such a magnet? If so, can it be made with a 4'x4' piece of sheet metal? Thanks ahead of time, SeaCrane1

Engineering news on Phys.org
Levitate is tricky - there is a famous law that says you can't do this with a simple magnet, it's unstable.

Those levitating globe toys use a computer and a set of varying magnetic coils to keep the globe in the centre. It's difficult to do over a larger area and the base has to be much larger than the thing you are levitating

Which is why the metal plates would be approximately 3.5 times the diameter of the snare drums. The drums are about 13" in diameter, 9" tall, and weigh between 10-14 lbs. If the magnet would truly be unstable, then some support could be added. All I really want to know is if a magnet could be made to lift the drum.

how does one put a electro-magnet to the mains, keeping in mind that i have built a Graetz bridge?

Lifting a steel object once an electromagnet is actually in contact is very easy. To work over a gap of as little as a cm is hard and, as has been mentioned, unstable.
If you want to produce Levitation then use a few thin wires which will achieve the illusion and be more reliable. With the right lighting, it will be fine. It's what all illusonists use and they should know what's best.

Steer clear of 'the mains', my friend, until you really know what you are doing. The diode bridge rectifier is the least of your concerns.

1. How does a magnet work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that attracts or repels certain materials. Magnets have two poles, a north pole and a south pole, and opposite poles attract each other while like poles repel each other.

2. How can I make a magnet stronger?

To make a magnet stronger, you can increase the strength of its magnetic field. This can be achieved by increasing the number of magnetic domains (tiny areas where the atoms are aligned in the same direction) within the magnet, increasing the strength of the magnet's core material, or by placing the magnet within a stronger external magnetic field.

3. What materials can I use to make an electromagnet?

Some common materials used to make an electromagnet include iron, steel, and nickel. These materials have high magnetic permeability, meaning they can easily be magnetized by an electric current.

4. How can I make an electromagnet strong enough to lift a drum?

To make an electromagnet strong enough to lift a drum, you will need a significant amount of current passing through the coil of wire. The more coils in the wire, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, using a core material with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, can also increase the strength of the electromagnet.

5. Can I control the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire. More current will create a stronger magnetic field, while less current will create a weaker magnetic field. Additionally, you can also control the strength by adjusting the number of coils in the wire or using different core materials.