Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect

• Thread starter aurelio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coaxial
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for a quantum spinless particle in two concentric cylinders with Dirichlet boundary conditions. The solution is given by the Bessel functions of the first kind and the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions can be determined by applying boundary conditions and using the Landau levels approach in the presence of a magnetic field.
aurelio
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for a quantum spinless particle within two concentric cylinders of radius \rho_a and \rho_b
, where \rho_a is less than\rho_b, with Dirichlet boundary conditions at these two radii. It's clear to me what the solution is for the case of \rho_a being equal to zero. The radial solution is the Bessel Function of order zero but how can I find the solution when \rho_a is finite.
IF I know what is the spectrum for this problem then I think I can determine what is the spectrum when there is a constant magnetic field B along the z direction only within the inner cylinder.
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Hi there,

The problem you are describing is known as the quantum particle in a cylindrical potential with Dirichlet boundary conditions. The solution for this problem is given by the Bessel functions of the first kind, J_n(\rho), where n is an integer. The eigenfunctions for this problem are given by the product of the Bessel function and the azimuthal angle, \theta, which is a solution to the angular part of the Schrödinger equation.

When \rho_a is finite, the solution can be found by applying the boundary conditions at \rho_a and \rho_b. This leads to a system of equations that can be solved to determine the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. The eigenvalues, or energy levels, are given by the zeros of the Bessel function, and the corresponding eigenfunctions are given by the product of the Bessel function and the appropriate solution for \theta.

To find the spectrum when there is a constant magnetic field B along the z direction, you can use the Landau levels approach. This approach considers the effect of the magnetic field on the energy levels of the particle, leading to a quantization of the energy levels. The energy levels are given by E_n = \hbar \omega_c (n + 1/2), where \omega_c is the cyclotron frequency and n is the Landau level number. The corresponding eigenfunctions are given by the product of the Bessel function and the appropriate solution for \theta, with an additional phase factor to account for the magnetic field.

I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a charged particle is affected by the magnetic field of a long solenoid, even when the particle is confined to the space between two coaxial cylinders that do not touch the solenoid.

2. How was the Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect discovered?

The effect was first predicted in 1959 by David Bohm and Yakir Aharonov as a thought experiment. It was later experimentally confirmed in 1986 by Elio Conte and collaborators.

3. What is the significance of the Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The effect challenges the classical notion that a particle's behavior is only influenced by its immediate surroundings. It also highlights the role of electromagnetic potentials in quantum mechanics and has implications for the interpretation of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the effect is only observable at the quantum level and requires precise experimental conditions to be observed. However, its principles have been applied in various fields such as solid-state physics and condensed matter physics.

5. What are the potential applications of the Coaxial Cylinder-Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The effect has potential applications in quantum computing, as it can be used to manipulate the state of a qubit. It also has implications for the design of electronic devices and could potentially lead to the development of new technologies.