Register to reply

Decline of Amateur Chemists (a.k.a citizen chemists)

by Scratchem
Tags: amateur, chemists, citizen, decline
Share this thread:
vanesch
Jan20-10, 11:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
I started my home chemistry lab at the age of 10. By the time I was 18, I didn't do much with it anymore. I had a room in the basement of my parent's home, had quite a lot of glassware but didn't have anything like fume extraction or whatever. I didn't do anything special there, I just did experiments as they were described in simple lab manuals, and then did some variants on them, just for the fun of it. I had a few minor explosions with no harm. In fact, chemistry got me interested in science.
vanesch
Jan20-10, 11:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
That's not exactly problem with forums - iodine is listed in CFR, so we just play it safe. But in a way you are right.
huh ?

I did this several times as a kid. You could find it in kid's laboratory books!
DrDu
Jan21-10, 02:23 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,555
The problem is that Iodine is used in the reduction process in the preparation of extacy (MDMA). Hence iodine is a controlled substance. Therefore in most "free" nations there exist some McCarthyist laws which prosecute web pages where you can either buy this stuff without registration or which only provide help in obtaining it. Whether this really would include discussions of some kids about the synthesis of some grams of iodine may be doubted, but I understand that the physicsforums try to avoid to get sued. Strangely enough, as far as I understand it is perfectly legal at least in USA to discuss the synthesis of MDMA at length in a book.
What I wonder is why I am still allowed to buy gallons of gasoline without registering, given the immense potential damage by the Molotov cocktails you can prepare from it.
Borek
Jan21-10, 02:28 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/pro...ppendix_B.html

Unfortunately I can't access the original page (http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...10/1310_02.htm)

Edit: it opened from the Google cache and iodine is not List II but List I.
Char. Limit
Jan21-10, 02:51 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,941
@DrDu:

Well, there's gasoline lobbyists, but there aren't any iodine lobbyists. Get the connection?

Register to reply