Register to reply

Creating material with special types of properties

by EvilKermit
Tags: creating, material, properties, special, types
Share this thread:
EvilKermit
Jan19-10, 05:23 AM
P: 27
Let's say you have a vision of a material with certain special types of properties. How would I know what the chemical structure and components of that material would be? Is there some way to at least estimate what the chemical structure would be, and its a matter of guess and check? Does it involve complex mathematics and special computation?

I know the basics of intermolecular and intramolecular forces. I took general chemisty and a semester of organic chemistry. What other information would I have to learn to understand these concepts? I understand its something that I can't learn overnight, but a starting point would be great.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
pzona
Jan19-10, 10:20 AM
P: 233
Depends on what kinds of properties you mean. Are you talking about drug design? Or do you mean something like, "I want a compound of this color, with a melting point at x"?
EvilKermit
Jan19-10, 02:57 PM
P: 27
For example, I want a substance with Young's modulus of X with electrical conductivity of Y. (although I understand that both these conditions are depended on conditions, I'll just say at STP). I suppose hardness can be determined by strong intermolecular forces (or for diamonds, strong intramolecular forces). Although I am unsure how metallic bonding occurs. And I don't know what would make a substance conductive or not.

Register to reply