Creating material with special types of properties

by EvilKermit
Tags: creating, material, properties, special, types
EvilKermit
Jan19-10, 05:23 AM
P: 27
Let's say you have a vision of a material with certain special types of properties. How would I know what the chemical structure and components of that material would be? Is there some way to at least estimate what the chemical structure would be, and its a matter of guess and check? Does it involve complex mathematics and special computation?

I know the basics of intermolecular and intramolecular forces. I took general chemisty and a semester of organic chemistry. What other information would I have to learn to understand these concepts? I understand its something that I can't learn overnight, but a starting point would be great.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
pzona
Jan19-10, 10:20 AM
P: 233
Depends on what kinds of properties you mean. Are you talking about drug design? Or do you mean something like, "I want a compound of this color, with a melting point at x"?
EvilKermit
Jan19-10, 02:57 PM
P: 27
For example, I want a substance with Young's modulus of X with electrical conductivity of Y. (although I understand that both these conditions are depended on conditions, I'll just say at STP). I suppose hardness can be determined by strong intermolecular forces (or for diamonds, strong intramolecular forces). Although I am unsure how metallic bonding occurs. And I don't know what would make a substance conductive or not.

Register to reply