What is the formula for determining the resonant frequency of drums?

I don't have time to think about that right now, but I'll be back in about 2 hours. In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the resonant frequency of individual drums in a drum set for optimal tuning. The conversation mentions using a formula involving solving the wave equation on a circular domain and finding the different vibrational modes, but notes that this is a simplified approximation. Another approach mentioned is finding the frequency of the first vibrational mode for a simplified drum of each size, but it is noted that this would require knowing the tension of the drum skins. The conversation also discusses the effect of overtones and the potential impact of adjusting parameters such as skin tension, vent hole size, and asymmetries. One
imsteinrecord

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a musician and recording studio owner. I'm not good at physics although I read "The Physics Of Music" and I am interested when in physics when it concerns musical instruments in particular. What I would like to know is a formula to determine the resonant frequency of the individual drums of a drum set. The drums are cylinders made of wood except for the snare which is metal. There are heads on each end of the drums and a small vent hole about the circumference of a pencil. I'm not sure if these facts matter or not. The purpose is to get the best sound for each drum when tuning them.

The size of the drums are:

12" diameter by 8" deep hi tom
14" diameter by 14" deep low tom
20" diameter by 14" deep kick drum
14" diameter by 4 1/2" deep snare drum

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Mark

Homework Equations

I don't know any!

The Attempt at a Solution

I do it by ear now!

Physics news on Phys.org
imsteinrecord said:
a formula to determine the resonant frequency of the individual drums of a drum set.

I think you would need to solve the wave equation on a circular domain, and find the different vibrational modes. It is not easy to do. I think the resonance frequencies are given as zeros of some Bessel functions. If you are emathematically inclided, I think it is described here (allthough I'm not sure how well. Just search for the word "drum"):
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahdrb/MATHM242/OutlineCD2.pdf

However, this is only based on an simplified approximation that ignores the influence of the rest of the drum and the air inside it/around it. The usual simplification in this case is that the skin of the drums is vibrating and fixed completely on its circular edge. Also, they assume that the vibrational amplitude is so small that the wave-equation is a valid approximation. Also that the skin of the drum has a certain tension that is exactly the same everywhere.

I do it by ear now!

That's probably the most accurate way to do it! :-)

Maybe it would be possible to find a formula for the frequency of the first vibrational mode for a simplified drum of each size. But there is a big problem. In real life you don't know the tension of the skins on the drums, right? And you won't be able to calculate the frequency without knowing it...

Torquil

What it more interesting to me is your statement about finding the best sound in the drums. That would depend on the different overtones in the vibrations, and how fast the sound builds up and decays. However, you probably don't have a lot of adjustable parameters, apart from the two skin tensions, maybe the size of the vent hole and so on.

If you think that the drums resonate too much, e.g. their sound doesn't die out quickly enough, then maybe you could try an uneven tension on the skin, and/or doing something asymmetrically to the skin that is on the underside, e.g. taping something to it on one side, etc.

If you want a different type of resonance, maybe you could close the vent hole.

The interesting things about drums is that the overtones are not integer multiples of each other. So is is not a completely "melodic" instrument, because the sound doesn't really define any particular note (although this probably depends a lot on the listener). It does of course to some degree because e.g. the funamental frequency is the strongest. Some drums change their "perceived note" as the sound dies out, since after a while, other overtones that are not an integer multiple of the fundamental can turn out to be louder.

Torquil

One can solve this problem with some effort with partial differential equation and is usually a typical school-book example. The vibrating circular membrane satisfies the following partial differential equation:

[tex]\nabla^{2}U-\frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial t^2}=0[/tex],

where U is the function describing the surface at any moment and v is the speed of sound. Typically, when you solve this equation you will get a sum of contributions from many frequencies. The solution depends on the radius and involves a mathematical creature that goes by the name of Bessel function. The modes of oscillation can be found by looking at the zeros of these functions.

[tex] J_{m}(ka) = 0[/tex]

where [tex] J_m [/tex] is the m:th Bessel function and a is the radius of the drum. The variable k is the one giving the frequency.

[tex] k=2\pi \frac{f}{v}[/tex].

Thus if you know the zeros of [tex] J_m [/tex] it's easy to find the frequency. For this particular problem you might be interested only in the main mode of oscillation, i.e. the one with highest amplitude. This means you want to know the zeros of [tex] J_0[/tex]. The zero is 2.4048. You have to solve

[tex] 2.4048 = 2\pi\frac{fa}{v}[/tex]

for the varius radii of the drum. For instance the drum with 12" diameter (=6" radius =0.1524 meters), gives

[tex] f=\frac{2.4048v}{2\pi a} =\frac{2.4048*343.3}{2*3.14*0.1524} = 863 Hz[/tex].

If you find it easier you can work out the speed of sound (= 343.3 m/s) to inches per second instead and the you can use your values of the radii in inches.

ulriksvensson said:
gives

[tex] f=\frac{2.4048v}{2\pi a} =\frac{2.4048*343.3}{2*3.14*0.1524} = 863 Hz[/tex].

If you find it easier you can work out the speed of sound (= 343.3 m/s) to inches per second instead and the you can use your values of the radii in inches.

But you have used the speed of sound in air, where you should have used the speed at which waves on the skin of the drum travels? And that number depends on the skin tension.

Torquil

Yes, that's true. Didn't think of that.

1. What is the resonant frequency of a drum?

The resonant frequency of a drum is the frequency at which the drum naturally vibrates and produces the loudest and most sustained sound. It is determined by the size, shape, and material of the drum.

2. How is the resonant frequency of a drum determined?

The resonant frequency of a drum can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the drum to vibrate and produce a sound, and then using this value to calculate the frequency using the equation f = 1 / t, where f is the frequency and t is the time.

3. Why is the resonant frequency important for drums?

The resonant frequency is important for drums because it affects the sound quality and sustain of the drum. It also determines the range of frequencies that the drum can produce, which is important for creating different tones and pitches.

4. How does the resonant frequency change with different drum tunings?

The resonant frequency of a drum can be changed by tuning the drum. Higher tensions and tighter heads will increase the resonant frequency, while lower tensions and looser heads will decrease it. By tuning the drum, the resonant frequency can be adjusted to produce different tones and pitches.

5. Can the resonant frequency of a drum be changed by altering its size or shape?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a drum can be changed by altering its size or shape. A larger drum will have a lower resonant frequency, while a smaller drum will have a higher resonant frequency. Changing the shape of the drum, such as making it more cylindrical or conical, can also affect the resonant frequency.