Register to reply

Histogram in MATLAB

by Saladsamurai
Tags: histogram, matlab
Share this thread:
Saladsamurai
Jan31-10, 08:31 PM
P: 3,015
I am having some trouble deciphering how to plot a histogram in MATLAB. My main problem is that I want the x-axis labels to line up with the tick marks. I do NOT want the labels centered and under the bars themselves.

I have been looking into the histc() function here, but have not figured out how to make it plot properly (with bin-edge labels under tick marks).

Anyone know how to do this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
shoehorn
Jan31-10, 08:58 PM
P: 448
Is there any particular reason why you want to offset the tick marks in this way?
Saladsamurai
Jan31-10, 09:02 PM
Hi shoehorn. Yes. That is how I think it should be presented :)
If 10 values fall between 20 and 25, then 20 should be the left mark and 25 should be the right mark and the column should rise up between the 2.

Like this except that I tried this procedure and it does not work reliably every time.

I don't know; I guess I must be insane. I have been looking online for hours. I am surprised that nobody else think that they should be plotted like this. I just checked my textbook's solution manual too and they draw them with the bin values centered under the bar. But that is ambiguous to me. Does that value represent the max or min of the interval? And why should one have to go looking for the interval size? Why should they have to calculate it? These are rhetorical questions of course.... I just think that Plots should be crystal clear so the average bear can read them.

Saladsamurai
Feb1-10, 07:40 PM
Histogram in MATLAB

Can anyone confirm if this is even possible? Thanks!
Saladsamurai
Feb6-10, 07:26 PM
I did it in Excel for anyone who cares. It was a PITA, but worth it I think. I will post a guide on how to do it once I complete it.

krupashah
Mar27-10, 12:53 AM
P: 3
hi...
histogram program will be there which i used...plz try it
i=imread(image path);
[r,c]=size(i);
val=0:255;
scale=0:255;
for x=1:r
for y=1:c
val(i(x,y))=val(i(x,y))+1;