Register to reply

Voice synthesizer chip

by zyho
Tags: chip, synthesizer, voice
Share this thread:
zyho
Feb1-10, 08:27 AM
P: 5
I am currently doing my solar charger with storage level indication through 7segment and an output voice of storage level. I am currently facing problem in the sound synthesizer circuit where i need to find the suitable chip for my project.

I have read up some chip such as AD74111, AD7880, AD7868 and BU6922KV. All these chip are not suitable to be used and i have out of resource to find the chip. Is there any other options that i can go on?

I need to find a way to pronounce the sound correctly using any chip that available.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
berkeman
Feb1-10, 04:45 PM
Mentor
P: 40,957
Quote Quote by zyho View Post
I am currently doing my solar charger with storage level indication through 7segment and an output voice of storage level. I am currently facing problem in the sound synthesizer circuit where i need to find the suitable chip for my project.

I have read up some chip such as AD74111, AD7880, AD7868 and BU6922KV. All these chip are not suitable to be used and i have out of resource to find the chip. Is there any other options that i can go on?

I need to find a way to pronounce the sound correctly using any chip that available.
How many words do you need to produce? Do you already have a uC as part of the circuit?
zyho
Feb4-10, 07:21 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
How many words do you need to produce? Do you already have a uC as part of the circuit?
Hi berkeman,

I need to produce sound like for example 80% full as i am doing charging. I am currently looking at one microcontroller which is Magnevation SpeakJet. Still searching for other options.

Do u have any ICs in mind that can do that?Actually i am not allowed to use pre-record Speech Synthesizer. I am using PIC to be the one doing work, sending data.

Regards,
zyho

berkeman
Feb4-10, 07:23 PM
Mentor
Voice synthesizer chip

Hi berkeman,

I need to produce sound like for example 80% full as i am doing charging. I am currently looking at one microcontroller which is Magnevation SpeakJet. Still searching for other options.

Do u have any ICs in mind that can do that?Actually i am not allowed to use pre-record Speech Synthesizer. I am using PIC to be the one doing work, sending data.

Regards,
zyho
You're not allowed to use pre-recorded speech? Weird. How are you supposed to "synthesize" speech?
zyho
Feb4-10, 07:41 PM
You're not allowed to use pre-recorded speech? Weird. How are you supposed to "synthesize" speech?
As i know, there are some ICs that have sounds producing by either Hex code or maybe other binary code. Maybe by combining simple sound to found a word. Something like the world 'good', it might need two sound from the IC so that it can form the 'good' word. just simple 'la' pronounce or other simple sound. I am not good in explain, do u understand what i am trying to express?haha.

For the project, i will have a 7 segment display of the storage level of my solar charger. then there will be a PIC taking the data to send in the synthesize IC to produce the sounds that i need for my project.

Regards,
Zhao Yong
berkeman
Feb4-10, 07:55 PM
Mentor
As i know, there are some ICs that have sounds producing by either Hex code or maybe other binary code. Maybe by combining simple sound to found a word. Something like the world 'good', it might need two sound from the IC so that it can form the 'good' word. just simple 'la' pronounce or other simple sound. I am not good in explain, do u understand what i am trying to express?haha.

For the project, i will have a 7 segment display of the storage level of my solar charger. then there will be a PIC taking the data to send in the synthesize IC to produce the sounds that i need for my project.

Regards,
Zhao Yong
Interesting. Maybe they synthesize them on the fly using phonemes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme

I'm familiar with using phonemes in voice recognition, but hadn't considered that they might be useful in voice synthesis as well. Sounds like a fun project!
zyho
Feb4-10, 08:06 PM

I'm familiar with using phonemes in voice recognition, but hadn't considered that they might be useful in voice synthesis as well. Sounds like a fun project!
hi berkeman,

Yea yea. that's the word phoneme. I am actually enjoying doing this project! haha! Just that having difficulty to find ICs can actually do the job that i wanted to.

Any ICs in ur mind? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
zyho
dlgoff
Feb5-10, 09:01 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719

This really brings back some memories. One of the first kits I put together was a free one from Bell Labs back in the early '60s. It used caps and inductors to produce the vowels that you could string together to "simulate" words (very crude). Here a link to see what they looked like:
http://www.porticus.org/bell/belllabs_kits_ss.html

Register to reply