Tags: circular, motion
Share this thread:
dragonladies1
Feb1-10, 06:50 PM
P: 23
For this problem, I tried using the equation:
ac=V2/r and put in

2000= ((2*pi*r)/(1/58))2*r

What is the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at a frequency f = 3480 rpm, if it has an acceleration of 2000g?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
berkeman
Feb1-10, 07:10 PM
Mentor
P: 41,016
Quote Quote by dragonladies1 View Post
For this problem, I tried using the equation:
ac=V2/r and put in

2000= ((2*pi*r)/(1/58))2*r

What is the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at a frequency f = 3480 rpm, if it has an acceleration of 2000g?
I'm not understanding your equation (made harder to understand because no units are shown).

Use a = omega^2 * r instead (close to the form of your equation anyway), and carefully convert 3480rpm into the omega (show the units in your conversion to check yourself).
dragonladies1
Feb2-10, 11:38 AM
P: 23
Human blood contains plasma, platelets, and blood cells. To separate the plasma from other components, centrifugation is used. Effective centrifugation requires subjecting blood to an acceleration of 2000g or more. In this situation, assume that blood is contained in test tubes of length L = 14.3 cm that are full of blood. These tubes ride in the centrifuge tilted at an angle of 45.0 above the horizontal (see figure below)

(a) What is the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at a frequency f = 3480 rpm, if it has an acceleration of 2000g?
cm
(b) If the blood at the center of the tubes revolves around the rotation axis at the radius calculated in Part (a), calculate the accelerations experienced by the blood at each end of the test tube. Express all accelerations as multiples of g.
minimum acceleration g
maximum acceleration g

This is the entire problem.

So for the first part:
a=omega^2*r
a= (2*pi*r/(1/58))^2*r

What am I doing incorrectly?

Register to reply