Can someone me solve this problem?

• Thread starter christoph8025
  • Start date
In summary, the 3 aluminium pontoons, each 33 feet long and with a 24 inch diameter, can hold approximately 9,000 lbs when half submerged in fresh water. This is calculated using Archimedes' Principle, which states that the weight of the object is equal to the weight of water it displaces. The total weight that the pontoons can support when fully submerged is about 19,500 lbs. It is important to consider the weight of the pontoons themselves when determining the additional load that can be applied.
christoph8025
I am building a house boat. I have bought 3 aluminium pontoons. The pontoons are 33 feet long and they have a 24 inche diameter. Here is the two answers I need (1) How much weight can it hold at full emersion in fresh water? (2) How much weight will make the pontoons half emersed in fresh water?

I am looking to keep the pontoons half way under water but it would be nice to know how much total weight it could hold just for the knowledge.

It would be great if someone could give me the equation for this as well. You can not find anyhting that relates to this on the internet!

Thanks for the help

Chris

Mathematics news on Phys.org
christoph8025 said:
I am building a house boat. I have bought 3 aluminium pontoons. The pontoons are 33 feet long and they have a 24 inche diameter. Here is the two answers I need (1) How much weight can it hold at full emersion in fresh water? (2) How much weight will make the pontoons half emersed in fresh water?

I am looking to keep the pontoons half way under water but it would be nice to know how much total weight it could hold just for the knowledge.

It would be great if someone could give me the equation for this as well. You can not find anyhting that relates to this on the internet!

Thanks for the help

Chris

You can use Archimedes' Principle to solve this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

elect_eng said:
You can use Archimedes' Principle to solve this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

Yeah I really can not make anything of that! It would be awsome if someone could solve this problem for me. I am not good in math at all! Thanks

The amount of weight it can support is equal to the amount of weight of water it displaces. If they are perfect cylinders 33 feet long, and 2 feet wide then the volume is:
v = pi * r2 * h = 325 cubic feet.

The weight of a cubic foot of water will change slightly with temperature, but 62 lbs is a good number to use. So one pontoon will support 325 * 62 = 20,125 lbs. If you want it half submerged you simply half that weight. So the three of them half submerged will support about 30,000 lbs. It is important to note that the weight it is supporting will include the weight of the pontoons. Even if they are half submerged you must include their entire weight.

DaleSwanson said:
The amount of weight it can support is equal to the amount of weight of water it displaces. If they are perfect cylinders 33 feet long, and 2 feet wide then the volume is:

[\QUOTE]

The diameter is 2 ft, so the radius is 1 ft. I get 103.7 cubic feet. It seems you have
an extra factor of pi.

willem2 said:
DaleSwanson said:

[\QUOTE]

The diameter is 2 ft, so the radius is 1 ft. I get 103.7 cubic feet. It seems you have
an extra factor of pi.

So does that mean his answer is wrong? is it 30,000 lbs?

christoph8025 said:
willem2 said:
So does that mean his answer is wrong? is it 30,000 lbs?

I came up with 6150 pounds per pontoon, in fresh water, and 6312 pounds per pontoon in salt water. This is the total weight that a fully submerged pontoon could support. As mentioned, you need to figure in the weight of the pontoon itself, to know the additional load that can be applied.

Roughly, at about half submergence with 3 pontoons, you might get about 9000 lbs of loading.

Yes I made an error figuring the volume. The formula I gave was correct, but I made a mistake (I squared pi instead of r). So the correct numbers are 103 cubic feet, and 103 * 62 = 6,386 lbs fully submerged. About 9,500 lbs for all three half submerged.

Sorry for the error.

Sounds like a homework problem re-worded.

I'd like to see pictures of the pontoons.

Norman.Galois said:
Sounds like a homework problem re-worded.

I'd like to see pictures of the pontoons.

Dale thanks for the re-working of the problem. I am going to stick 9000 lbs to be on the safe side for building and what not. Norman I am 29 years old haven't been in school in quite a while but if you want to see pics of the pontoons I can post them. Thank you guys for your help and quick responses it awsome to have a place like this.

1. Can you help me solve this problem?

As a scientist, my job is to conduct research and experiments to gain knowledge and understanding of the natural world. I am not an expert in problem-solving, but I am always willing to offer my assistance and share my knowledge in any way that I can.

2. Is it possible for you to solve this problem for me?

I am not able to solve problems on behalf of others. However, I can provide guidance and resources to help you find a solution. It is important to take an active role in problem-solving and learn from the process.

3. How long will it take for you to solve this problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary greatly depending on the complexity and nature of the problem. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and develop a plan of action before attempting to solve it. Rushing through the process can lead to errors and an ineffective solution.

4. Can you guarantee that you will solve this problem?

I cannot guarantee that I will be able to solve a problem, as there are many factors that can affect the outcome. However, I will do my best to assist you and provide guidance along the way. It is important to approach problem-solving with an open mind and willingness to learn from any challenges that may arise.

5. Will you charge me for solving this problem?

I am not a professional problem solver and do not charge for my assistance. My goal as a scientist is to share knowledge and promote learning. However, if the problem requires extensive research or resources, there may be associated costs that you will need to cover.