Maximizing Door Lock Security: Factors to Consider for Optimal Protection

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lock
In summary, the conversation discusses the strength and potential failure of two different door locks that are installed with the same size screws on a wooden door. The experts in the conversation state that the smaller lock will likely fail first, but also mention the importance of the door and screw strength in overall security. They also suggest using a steel plate and longer screws for maximum security. Different door materials, such as hollow core doors, are also mentioned as a factor in security. Additionally, one person shares their experience as a professional locksmith and offers suggestions for securing the door using steel channels and proper torque on screws.
chrisalviola
If you have 2 door locks like these
Mortise-Lock-Door-Lock.jpg

the first one is a lot smaller, both locks are installed with the same size screws on the wooden door which of the 2 locks do you think will break first if the door is forced opened.

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisalviola said:
If you have 2 door locks like these
Mortise-Lock-Door-Lock.jpg

the first one is a lot smaller, both locks are installed with the same size screws on the wooden door which of the 2 locks do you think will break first if the door is forced opened.

It depends on a number of things, but the smaller one will probably fail with less force (or a smaller impulse) applied to the door.

Chris, when mentioning the size, to you mean the latch mechanism or the actual lock? The lock is the brass cylinder in the lower centre of your picture. The rest of the system is the latch. The strongest bank vaults in the world have tiny locks that control massive latches. You can almost think of it as a relay system in an electrical circuit.
Almost all commercial and residential latches are designed to accept a variety of different lock cylinders that conform to industry standards. The one in your photo appears to be a rim cylinder, which frankly surprises me because I would have expected a mortise cylinder in that application. There's a light flare that makes it a bit hard to see, but I don't notice the threads on the cylinder body that a mortise unit would have.
That appears to be about a 2" throw bolt, which is far more than industry standard, but the bevel throws me off. A deadbolt doesn't usually have that; it's used on spring latches. Also, the thickness of the bolt doesn't make sense, unless the perspective of the picture is a bit off. It should be a lot more massive for the length.
Can you please tell me the make and model of the unit, since I don't recognize it at all?
Anyhow, the size and design of the latch mechanism definitely make a difference. As for the lock cylinder, it's purely a matter of design. You can have pick-resistant systems, drill-resistant inserts, etc..

given any lock, as long as its screwed on a wooden door, 1 lock is smaller both lock used the same size wooded screws, as what berkeman said the smaller lock would be the one to first break if the door is forced open.
iam just wondering this because i recently installed some locks on my wooden door with different sizes and same screw sizes.

That's a bit different, then. Your concern should be more for the strength of the door and screws than for the lock/latch system. The length of the screws is more important than the diameter. Since you mention a surface-mount for the latch, it now makes sense that it uses a rim cylinder. The face of that, along with the trim ring, should be all that is currently showing from the outside. For maximum security using your current hardware, I would place a matching steel plate on the outside of the door and run carriage-head bolts through both it and the latch body with friction-lock acorn nuts on the inside. I've been a professional locksmith (now retired) since '79, and use a similar system in my own home. It doesn't look particularly pretty, but I guarantee that I have plenty of time to wake up, load, aim and fire before anyone can get through it.

Danger said:
That's a bit different, then. Your concern should be more for the strength of the door and screws than for the lock/latch system. The length of the screws is more important than the diameter. Since you mention a surface-mount for the latch, it now makes sense that it uses a rim cylinder. The face of that, along with the trim ring, should be all that is currently showing from the outside. For maximum security using your current hardware, I would place a matching steel plate on the outside of the door and run carriage-head bolts through both it and the latch body with friction-lock acorn nuts on the inside. I've been a professional locksmith (now retired) since '79, and use a similar system in my own home. It doesn't look particularly pretty, but I guarantee that I have plenty of time to wake up, load, aim and fire before anyone can get through it.

nice suggestions tnks

Yep, it's not the lock but the latch and plate and how it's fastened to the frame and studs. 4" min lag screws into a double stud frame and it'll take a beating before the door opens. Also bear in mind the construction of the door, hollow core doors are useless and should only be used in interior non-security placements. a good steel or solid wood door of maple as long as the door in not in direct sunlight are your best options.

another great retro-fit I've done on some buildings is to put in a steel channel that is anchored to the sill plate thru the footing and tied into the upper top plate that can either replace the stud or work along side it. re-hang the frame and door to that along with a good deadbolt and that door isn't going to give unless you plan on driving a vehicle into it.

all things being equal the fastener is the workhorse in the equation, it's providing the tension force to oppose the plate from coming off. proper torque is important, too much and you'll exceed the yield on the screw to little and it's not doing it job allowing it to work loose. I'd also use 4" long screws in two of each hinge plate, short screws there are easier to bust thru than the latch.

1. Does the size of a door lock affect its security?

No, the size of a door lock does not necessarily determine its level of security. A properly installed and high-quality lock can provide adequate security, regardless of its size.

2. Can a small door lock provide the same level of security as a larger one?

Yes, the size of the lock is not the only factor that determines its security. Other factors such as the materials used, the type of lock, and the installation process also play a significant role in its overall security.

3. Do larger door locks have more complex mechanisms?

Not necessarily. The complexity of a lock's mechanism is not directly related to its size. Some smaller locks may have complex mechanisms, while some larger locks may have simpler ones.

4. Is it necessary to choose a specific door lock size for different types of doors?

The size of the door lock should be chosen based on the thickness of the door, rather than the type of door. Different locks come in various sizes to accommodate different door thicknesses, so it is important to choose the appropriate size for your specific door.

5. Are there any advantages to choosing a larger door lock?

The size of the door lock does not affect its functionality or security. However, a larger lock may be easier to use for individuals with limited dexterity or strength. It may also be more visible and act as a deterrent for potential intruders.