Magnetic field simulation

by inishmore
Tags: field, magnetic, simulation
Share this thread:
inishmore
Feb14-10, 07:10 AM
P: 3
Hi guys, this is my first post!
I have to simulate in 2D and 3D the magnetic field produced by two permanent magnets arranged vertically and separated by a distance d. For 2D simulation I used the excellent FEMM, I discovered googling on internet, and I must say we are very pleased with the results. About 3D simulation, I searched in the net and I found the software Ansoft Maxwell 3D, which seemed more than appropriate for my purposes. Only that I'm having some difficulty in using it. This is what I must do: graphically represent the magnetic field via its force lines, or via a colored flux density map (like FEMM) and calculate the magnetic field's intensity relatively to a plane between the two magnets.

I've already defined the geometry of the problem, assigned the materials, changed the direction of magnetization through the thickness along the Z-axis (Maxwell's default is along the X-axis). What about boundary conditions. In my 2D simulation I assumed asymptotic boundary conditions. What do you reccomended? Reading the Maxwell's user guide, I had thought about using a vacuum box to limit the region of simulation. I'm having some difficulties to represent the field distribution, too. The results are strange, at least for me. I also tried to represent the field's intensity (relatively to a plane) on a graph, but there's no way to do it. I think I'm doing something wrong. Could anyone give me an hand?

I trust in your help guys. I'd be very grateful.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
inishmore
Feb16-10, 11:02 AM
P: 3
So guys, I've solved all my problems, except one: who know how to use the "3D rectangular plot" in Maxwell's reports? I need to represent the magnetic field's intensity in a 3D graph. Thanks for any advices.

Register to reply