Should you watch this movie? (or run away!)

by turbo
Tags: movie, watch
DaveC426913
Feb15-10, 09:59 AM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
... NetFlix "throttles" your account when you return movies very promptly...
I have some friends who unsubbed from NetFlix because it seemed the films they wanted were never available or had a waiting time of weeks.
Ivan Seeking
Feb15-10, 11:54 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
I have some friends who unsubbed from NetFlix because it seemed the films they wanted were never available or had a waiting time of weeks.
Same here but that was some time ago. For a number of months we were trading DVDs as fast as the mail would allow with no problems less a couple of exceptions. I tend to attribute the so-called throttling to insufficient inventory for their quickly growing demand.

Netflix is by far superior to any video store options. That's a no-brainer when you compare prices.
MotoH
Feb15-10, 12:06 PM
P: 237
And the ability to stream them on your computer is awesome. Just hook the laptop up to the TV and bam insta movie!
Jimmy Snyder
Feb15-10, 04:14 PM
P: 2,163
The county library is nearby and has an excellent collection. Also the county community college has one too. One library card suffices for both libraries and they're free. Once when I went to borrow a film, I slipped on a banana peel.
MotoH
Feb15-10, 04:17 PM
P: 237
Our library has a VHS set on Karate. I want to rent them to see how corny they are. Of course where would I find a VHS player?
joelupchurch
Feb15-10, 04:26 PM
P: 149
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Same here but that was some time ago. For a number of months we were trading DVDs as fast as the mail would allow with no problems less a couple of exceptions. I tend to attribute the so-called throttling to insufficient inventory for their quickly growing demand.

Netflix is by far superior to any video store options. That's a no-brainer when you compare prices.
I don't actually have a video store option. The Hollywood Video and Blockbuster closest to my house have shutdown. The only option close to my house is Redbox. I notice that the 28 day delay on Warner Bros movies has kicked in. "The Time Traveler's Wife" won't be available until March 9th on Netflix.

I do have a Roku box, so I can stream movies without hooking up a computer.
DaveC426913
Feb15-10, 04:28 PM
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
The county library is nearby and has an excellent collection. Also the county community college has one too. One library card suffices for both libraries and they're free.
How is this funny? Jimmy, sometimes the subtlety of your humour goes right over my head.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb15-10, 04:34 PM
How is this funny? Jimmy, sometimes the subtlety of your humour goes right over my head.
I edited it.
DaveC426913
Feb15-10, 04:38 PM
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
I edited it.
You kill me. You kill me.
turbo
Feb15-10, 05:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
You kill me. You kill me.
Careful - he's from Joisey. You don't want him to get all literal on you.
TheStatutoryApe
Feb15-10, 10:23 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Careful - he's from Joisey. You don't want him to get all literal on you.
Yeah, I think out that way the proper phrase would be "you slay me".
Brian_C
Feb15-10, 10:39 PM
P: 261
I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player that streams Netflix movies. It works very well.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb16-10, 04:49 AM
How often must I repeat, I am not from Joisey, that's North Jersey. Just because they use the People's Republic as a dumping ground for solved problems and their families doesn't mean that we share their ways or their language. We are a quiet and peaceloving tribe living out our simple lives in the pine barrens and highlands of the south. They are under the corporate thumb of the Yankees, while we fly with the Eagles.
gravenewworld
Feb16-10, 05:47 AM
P: 1,389
Funniest movie of 2009 IMO

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_the_loop/

Another funny, low budget (not bad quality though), independent film if you have any interest in sports. It's a dark comedy and you can enjoy even if you don't like football:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213684-big_fan/

Very good, very maddening documentary. One of the best I've ever seen:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1001...itic=creamcrop

Zombieland was also good and fun waste of 2 hours.
Ivan Seeking
Feb26-10, 02:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
The Hurt Locker is getting rave reviews
http://thehurtlocker-movie.com/
Integral
Feb26-10, 06:50 PM
Mentor
P: 7,291
Guess I should make a comment in this thread. We have a collection of something over 2000 titles. Kind of my wife's hobby, most of them are from the 2nd hand stores where she buys them by the handful for $10 or $20. Also the bigger it was at the box office the less likely you are to find it on our shelf, not a strict rule but a general guideline. She looks for indies for the most part, Horror and foreign are her speciality (naturally foreign Horror is optimal!) we have a lot of comedy also. It is the rare movie that I will watch twice, there are some (e.g. Memento and Mulholland Dr) which need multiple views just to figure out what is going on. I have watched all season of Dr Who a couple of times, I have the 6th season of The Sopranos waiting to watch but really should watch the first 5 over again to just refresh what was going on. This, however, is way to big a commitment in time to even consider.

There is so many different ways to appreciate a movie it is difficult to come up with a favorite. How about a good movie you may not have heard of. Give Lars and the Real Girl a watch. We watched this over a year ago and I still remember the title, that must mean something.

Register to reply