Register to reply

Why do Some Stars Explode ?

by Antonio Lao
Tags: explode, stars
Share this thread:
Antonio Lao
Aug2-04, 04:24 PM
P: 1,443
It is a fact that stars do explode. But why? Cosmological theory says it is caused by the acquisition of mass beyond the Chandrasekhar limit. My hypothesis is that explosion is related to an intrinsic metric variable. This variable is the parameter for all possible velocity components attributed to a star. If the vector sum of all these components is zero, the star will explode.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
jamie
Aug2-04, 04:57 PM
P: 59
stars with a mass beyond the chandasekhar limit do not explode but collaspe uder the force of there own gravity because they burn there fuel to quickly. now these stars generally become black holes.
but i would still like to see your maths to support this antonio.
regards jamie
Chronos
Aug2-04, 04:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
They are overweight. Obesity is a universal health risk. Stars over the Chandrasekhar limit do tend to explode. But, will not collapse unless the mass remaining after exploding is over the Chandrasekhar limit. If the remaining mass is over the Chandrasekhar limit [~1.44 solar masses] but less than the neutron degeneracy limit [~ 3 solar masses], a neutron star will form. Black holes form if the remaining mass exceeds the neutron degeneracy limit.

jamie
Aug2-04, 05:18 PM
Why do Some Stars Explode ?

hello chronos
thanks for clarifying that point. yet another thing ive learnt.
can you please tell me were the shwartzchild radius fits into this.
many thanks
jamie
Chronos
Aug2-04, 05:44 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,360
The Schwarzchild radius describes the event horizon of a black hole. Another way of putting it is the Schwarzchild radius is the size at which an object of any given mass becomes a black hole. So, an object is not a black hole so long as it is larger than the Schwarzchild radius for its mass.
Antonio Lao
Aug3-04, 05:58 AM
Quote Quote by jamie
but i would still like to see your maths to support this antonio.
I'll be working on the math in conjunction with the other theory development in progress. I'll post it as soon as I get it together. Am requesting for your patience.
Antonio Lao
Aug3-04, 12:23 PM
jamie,

Just an overview of the physical concepts for setting the math in a model of metric invariance.

Time symmetry in energy, translational symmetry in linear momentum, rotational symmetry in angular momentum are the three fundamental conservation laws.

Linear momentum is a function of velocity ([itex] p=mv[/itex]) so is angular momentum ([itex]L = mvr[/itex]). Force is a function of linear momentum ([itex] F= \frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]). but energy is the product of force and a metric.

If we assume that mass=1, then [itex] p=v, L=vr, F=\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]. But [itex] \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] is just acceleration, therefore F=a and Energy is just the product of generalized acceleration and a metric.

The metric invariance is then given by

[tex] \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r} = c^2 [/tex]

where c is the speed of light in vacuum.
Antonio Lao
Aug3-04, 03:10 PM
From this metric invariance, we can define a quantum magnitude for acceleration as

[tex] \left| a_n \right| = \frac{c^2}{nl_p}[/tex]

where [itex] l_p [/itex] is the Planck length.
jamie
Aug3-04, 04:47 PM
thank you antonio
I will work thruogh you math and let you know how i get on
regards jamie

Register to reply