Register to reply

Determining 4-vector character of a 4-tuple

by jmcvirgo
Tags: 4tuple, 4vector, character, determining
Share this thread:
jmcvirgo
Feb18-10, 06:05 AM
P: 2
Suppose you're given a 4 tuple and told that its scalar product with any 4-vector is a lorentz scalar. How do I show that this implies the 4-tuple is a 4-vector?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Fredrik
Feb18-10, 07:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,250
It can't be done unless you're told that its scalar product with any 4-vector is a scalar.

If the given 4-tuple is x and the (arbitrary) 4-vector is y,

[tex]x_\mu y^\mu=x'_\mu y'^\nu=x'_\mu\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu y^\nu[/tex]

[tex]x_\mu=\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x'_\mu[/tex]

Now do some raising and lowering of indices and apply a Lorentz transformation to solve for x', and you're done. This post should help with the notation.
dextercioby
Feb18-10, 07:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
Just apply the definitions on the <scalar> product. Denoting by F the matrix the 4-tuple (index down) uses to transform under a Lorentz group element, you'll end with a matrix equation

[tex] \mathbb{F} \Lambda = \mbox{1}_{4\times 4} [/tex].

Since [itex] \Lambda [/itex] is invertible, the conclusion follows easily.

Fredrik
Feb18-10, 08:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,250
Determining 4-vector character of a 4-tuple

Here's how I would do it in matrix notation:

[tex]x^T\eta y=x'^T\eta y'=x'^T\eta\Lambda y[/tex]

[tex]x^T\eta=x'^T\eta\Lambda[/tex]

[tex]\eta x=\Lambda^T\eta x'[/tex]

[tex]x'=\eta^{-1}(\Lambda^T)^{-1}\eta x=\eta^{-1}(\eta\Lambda\eta^{-1})\eta x=\Lambda x[/tex]

The fact that [tex](\Lambda^T)^{-1}=\eta\Lambda\eta^{-1}[/tex] follows from the definition of a Lorentz transformation, [tex]\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta[/tex]. Just multiply both sides with [tex]\eta^{-1}[/tex] from the right.

Quote Quote by jmcvirgo View Post
the 4-tuple is a 4-vector?
I suggest that you be a bit more careful with the terminology. A 4-tuple can't ever be 4-vector. In order to define a 4-vector you must specify a 4-tuple for each coordinate system. It's the assignment of 4-tuples to coordinate systems that defines a 4-vector, not a single 4-tuple. The assignment is of course usually done by specifying the 4-tuple that you want to associate with a specific coordinate system, and then explicitly stating that the 4-tuples associated with all the other coordinate systems are given by the tensor transformation rule.
jmcvirgo
Feb18-10, 11:41 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
I suggest that you be a bit more careful with the terminology. A 4-tuple can't ever be 4-vector. In order to define a 4-vector you must specify a 4-tuple for each coordinate system. It's the assignment of 4-tuples to coordinate systems that defines a 4-vector, not a single 4-tuple. The assignment is of course usually done by specifying the 4-tuple that you want to associate with a specific coordinate system, and then explicitly stating that the 4-tuples associated with all the other coordinate systems are given by the tensor transformation rule.
Yes, that was sloppy of me. The 4-tuple I had in mind only has to be a continuous function of the coordinate transformation. But I wasn't thinking of it being confined by the tensor transformation rule.

Register to reply