A weight supported by two ropes

by chudd88
Tags: ropes, supported, weight
Share this thread:
chudd88
Feb21-10, 12:19 PM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two ropes are connected to a steel cable that supports a hanging weight as shown.

If the maximum tension either rope can sustain without breaking is 5000 N, determine the maximum mass m that the ropes can support.

2. Relevant equations

Newton's equations #1, #3.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the left rope have tension T1, and the right rope have tension T2. So, the horizontal component of T1 is cos(60)*T1, which must equal the horizontal component of T2, which is cos(40)*T2. So:

cos(60)*T1 = cos(40)*T2
T1 = (cos(40) / cos(60)) *T2
T1 = 1.532*T2

So T1 has the greater tension.

The problem states that the maximum tension for either T1 or T2 is 5000N. So, since T1 has the greatest tension, we give it a tension of 5000N. This means that T2 has a tension of 3266N.

The weight of the block is equal to the sum of the vertical components of the two tensions. So:

w = sin(60)*T1 + sin(40)*T2

So we have:

w = sin(60)*5000N + sin(40)*3266N
w = 5035N

That's the answer I get. My book tells me the answer is 6400N. I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here.

Nevermind all of this. As it turns out, I was just screwing up the final calculation. sin(60)*5000N + sin(40)*3266N doesn't equal 5035N, as I indicated.

So, nothing to see here...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage

Register to reply