Calculating the interplanar distance d111 for an FCC lattice

by Jopi
Tags: d111, distance, interplanar, lattice
Share this thread:
Jopi
Feb23-10, 01:02 PM
P: 14
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As a part of a lab report, I need to calculate the distance of the (111) planes of an FCC lattice made out of spheres with diameter D.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
The course assistant has given me the value of [LATEX]\frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}D[/LATEX]. I can understand where the [LATEX]\sqrt{6}D[/LATEX] comes from; it's the space diagonal of the cubic unit cell of the FCC lattice. But why is it divided by three? That means that there are three (111)-planes in one unit cell, but I have no idea why is that.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Gokul43201
Feb23-10, 02:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Your interpretation is more or less correct. The body diagonal of a single FCC unit cell intersects (or terminates at) 4 successive (111) planes, with 3 inter-planar regions between them.

Perhaps this figure might help...

However, to calculate the interplanar spacing for a set of planes in a cubic lattice there is a pretty straightforward formula based on the Miller Indices of the plane. If you know the definition of the Miller Indices in terms of intercepts along the crystal axes, you can derive this formula using simple geometry.

Register to reply