Scalar potential and line integral of a vector field

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem involving F(r) and dr, with the attempt being made to define F(r) as (B+A)/2 + t(B-A)/2 and dr as (B-A)/2 dt. However, upon integrating from -1 to 1, the resulting solution did not match the given hint, which included additional terms and elements. It was suggested that the given formula for F(r) should be used instead, and the goal was to find a scalar potential function phi(r) that would satisfy a specific equation.
alecst

Homework Statement

nSlbe.png

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem first without looking at the hint.

I've defined F(r) as (B+A)/2 + t(B-A)/2, with dr as (B-A)/2 dt . Thus F(r)dr = ((B+A)/2)*((B-A)/2)+((B-A)/2)^2 dt

When I integrate this from -1 to 1 I get 1/2*(B^2-A^2).

When I then looked at the hint, I saw it mentioned another (B^2+A^2)/2 term and another "c," neither of which I have, and my integrand has no "tau" squared element either. Is there a point where I went wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that you don't get to define F(r) but instead have to use the one given to you in problem 4.01, whatever that is.

The idea is to used the derived formula to solve the next problem, which is find a scalar potential function phi(r) such that the line integral F(B,A) (as in 4.02) = phi(B)-phi(A). So it's clear I need to solve this in terms of B and A.

1. What is a scalar potential?

A scalar potential is a mathematical function that is used to describe the magnitude of a vector field at any given point. It represents the amount of work needed to move a particle from one point to another in the vector field, and is expressed in units of energy.

2. How is a scalar potential related to a vector field?

A scalar potential is related to a vector field through the gradient operator. The gradient of a scalar potential is equal to the vector field, meaning that the direction of the gradient represents the direction of the vector field and the magnitude of the gradient represents the magnitude of the vector field.

3. What is the significance of a scalar potential in physics?

A scalar potential is significant in physics because it is used to calculate the work done by a conservative force. This helps to understand the behavior of particles in a vector field and is a fundamental concept in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

4. What is a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field is a mathematical tool used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a specific path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field and is represented by the symbol ∫.

5. How is a line integral of a vector field related to a scalar potential?

A line integral of a vector field is related to a scalar potential through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The line integral of a vector field can be calculated by evaluating the scalar potential at the endpoints of the path and taking the difference between the two values. This shows the relationship between the two concepts and how they are used together in mathematical calculations.