What are you most afraid of?

by KnowledgeIsPower
Tags: afraid
KnowledgeIsPower
Aug5-04, 02:32 PM
P: 90
For me it would be the future.
The thought i get at the end of a day that I have one less day to live is a miserable and choking one that's very hard to deal with, especially for an athiest who thinks that the 'afterlife' and 'religion' are merely mechanisms to allow humans not to think about the full consequences of death.
How do you guys cope with that?

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
donnie
Aug5-04, 03:02 PM
P: 31
Quote Quote by KnowledgeIsPower
The thought i get at the end of a day that I have one less day to live is a miserable and choking one that's very hard to deal with, especially for an athiest who thinks that the 'afterlife' and 'religion' are merely mechanisms to allow humans not to think about the full consequences of death.

Not being able to look at things simply.
donnie
Aug5-04, 03:03 PM
Not being able to see - really see - the simple things in Life.

force5
Aug5-04, 04:11 PM
P: 146

I am most afraid of out living my children or grandchildren.
donnie
Aug5-04, 04:21 PM
Can't decide whether mortality or immortality is a scary thing.
Ivan Seeking
Aug5-04, 04:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
I always most feared being captured and tortured; as in a war. I grew up listening to what happened to our guys captured in Vietnam. I also expected to go myself [in a few years] when, after nearly two decades, it ended. If people are appalled at the treatment of Iraqi soldiers, or even the beheadings or ours and other people in Iraq, check into what happened to our soldiers in Nam. In many cases death was a blessing. As a teenager, looking forward to this possibility was not a nice thing. It never occurred to me that I would never go.
donnie
Aug5-04, 04:53 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
I always most feared being captured and tortured; as in a war. It never occurred to me that I would never go.
The opposite of war is not peace- it's renewal.
(can't remember the author who said this right now)
Atrayo
Aug5-04, 06:00 PM
P: 46
Hi All,

Hmm, perhaps my greatest fear is becoming homeless.

After that our society coming to an abrupt end, not so much by natural disaster, but a human made one. Meaning another economic depression, that could ignite a civil war in the US. The domino effect of that would cause all US foreign interests and presence to dissolve.

Would the UN be strong enough to keep world order elsewhere, without the US? Or would that trigger the often cited "New World Order" to rear it's head and take hold.

That's my second greatest fear.
motai
Aug5-04, 06:11 PM
P: 496
Loneliness. I like to be around people who I can talk to, and about issues that I like to talk about. Not very many people I know of in real life like to talk to me about the philosophical implications of quantum theory , the ones that I do occasionally meet are rare to me and I try to spend as much time around them as possible.
donnie
Aug5-04, 06:16 PM
Quote Quote by motai
Loneliness. I like to be around people who I can talk to, and about issues that I like to talk about. Not very many people I know of in real life like to talk to me about the philosophical implications of quantum theory , the ones that I do occasionally meet are rare to me and I try to spend as much time around them as possible.
That's some heavy stuff there Man! Slip-sliding away!
pace
Aug5-04, 07:00 PM
P: 234
There are certain things I worry most about, and there are other things that I don't expect but would fear the most if it ever did.

The ones I usually fear is:

Being lonely
Being stupid
Depression
Getting a nice and meaningful job (which I suspect I won't now)
Broke and homeless
People
Hurting others
Speaking up high
Also that my mom would die. I don't live at her house, but it's the person I'm definetaly closest to, and she's very good and I don't trust anyone else more than her.

The basic terror is just:

Torture. A very underestimated thing. And I don't worry about being dead, as then I see myself not existing anyway. The scary part is living Much, not being non-existant or dying)
Manic Depression. I believe that Mental torture can be as bad as physical, although it's still a very uhm unadventured landscape.
donnie
Aug5-04, 07:17 PM
Quote Quote by pace
I believe that Mental torture can be as bad as physical, although it's still a very uhm unadventured landscape.
Hey, some mental states are actually an escape from a greater fear. Like the way some homeless deal with situations by drinking. It's weird how many different levels of fear we can experience...
merak
Aug5-04, 07:31 PM
P: 52
What are you most afraid of?[/QUOTE]

being bored!
dieing, and giving up the fight!... in the battle-field of life.
DarkAnt
Aug5-04, 07:33 PM
P: 194
loseing hope that some day I'll actually make something of myself
donnie
Aug5-04, 07:34 PM
Quote Quote by merak
being bored!
dieing, and giving up the fight!... in the battle-field of life.
Oh man! Suck it in Soldier! No battle happening here.
donnie
Aug5-04, 07:38 PM
Quote Quote by DarkAnt
loseing hope that some day I'll actually make something of myself
Now THAT'S a fear I can sink my teeth into: the fear of success! It's a fear born from the millenium. Corporate society and modern life - bring it on!
Kerrie
Aug5-04, 08:08 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,188
my children or husband becoming terminally ill...
Leong
Aug5-04, 08:34 PM
P: 376
Quote Quote by KnowledgeIsPower

when i was aware that my fear is controlling my life instead of me controlling my own life and being so pathetic and helpless to allow that happens. fortunately, i am aware of this.

Register to reply