Register to reply

Hawking to leave Cambridge in protest over budget cuts, heading to Perimeter

by rhody
Tags: hawking, hawking radiation
Share this thread:
Phrak
Jun6-10, 04:28 AM
P: 4,512
Let me get this right. The contemporary world's most renowned scientist is leaving his post in protest over the weaning of his pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct?? I'd thought only children and adolescents had this sense of (what's the word?) righteous charity flowing their way.
rhody
Jun6-10, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct??
Phrak,

First, like I said in my post I was speculating about his talks with the physicists at PI. Second, if you read the article in post #1, Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds. PI was founded mostly through private funding, because of the vision and determination of Mike Lazaridis, see article, and came on-line in 2001.

Have a look at what they are up to: research and education

Rhody...
ViewsofMars
Jun6-10, 10:54 AM
P: 463
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
Let me get this right. The contemporary world's most renowned scientist is leaving his post in protest over the weaning of his pet interest from the public tit. Is this correct?? I'd thought only children and adolescents had this sense of (what's the word?) righteous charity flowing their way.
"In keeping with university policy, Prof. Hawking retired as the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University in 2009, the year he turned 67."
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/New...med_on_june_20

The above link(url) from Perimeter Institute provides a wealth of information about this topic. Have fun exploring it's website! A video to the right of the website does note that Hawking interests are in space, time and black holes.

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Phrak,

First, like I said in my post I was speculating about his talks with the physicists at PI. Second, if you read the article in post #1, Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds.

Rhody...
Rhody as the OP, the article you presented in post #1 is what I consider to be poor news reporting.

I'd like to address your comment Rhody, "Hawking sees the progress of all of Physics (not just his pet interest) in Britain come to a near standstill for lack of funds." Well, there doesn't appear to be a lack of funds at Cambridge University.

May 2010, Issue 12
"Building the Future
Vice-Chancellor Professor Alison Richard on how new buildings and refurbishments across the University are helping research to flourish."
[Please read on . . .]
http://www.research-horizons.cam.ac....uture--p-.aspx

and

"May 2010, Issue 12
Probing the Universe: Kavli Institute for Cosmology
Scientists at Cambridge’s Kavli Institute are studying how the Universe developed after the Big Bang by analysing light emitted up to 13.7 billion years ago.

"It may be one of Cambridge’s newest buildings but its historic roots lie in one of the University’s oldest scientific research departments. The 4 million Kavli Institute for Cosmology Cambridge (KICC), opened in 2009, is built just yards from the University Observatory, where astronomical research has been carried out since the early 19th century. In the intervening years, Cambridge has developed an international reputation for ground-breaking discoveries about the origin, evolution and structure of the Universe, thanks to research in the Institute of Astronomy, the Department of Physics’ Cavendish Laboratory and the Department of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP).

"The driving force for the new Institute was to bring together some of the groups from these departments, as Professor George Efstathiou, Director of KICC, explained: ‘The spread of research across departments owes much to the natural divisions that resulted from the diverse ‘tool boxes’ used to study different areas of cosmology, such as the events following the Big Bang, the birth of stars, the structure of the Universe and so on. Today, though, there are increasing overlaps and it makes sense to integrate research programmes where there is common ground.’

"KICC is now home to 55 scientists, including many graduate students from each department, and is also recruiting a new generation of research scientists: Drs George Becker, Ian McCarthy and Carrie MacTavish are the first Kavli Institute Fellows to be appointed, funded by an endowment from The Kavli Foundation to pursue independent research in Cambridge."
http://www.research-horizons.cam.ac....ology--p-.aspx

Register to reply