Suggestion for an optics book?

by fluidistic
Tags: book, optics, suggestion
fluidistic
Mar8-10, 03:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,173
I just started an introductory course dealing with geometrical optics for now and maybe some physical optics later (undergraduate level). I've heard that M. Born & E. Wolf's Principles of Optics is a good book. Can you suggest another book? Also, would you suggest the Born/Wolf book for a first approach with optics?
I've looked through this forum (Sc. book discussion) and the few threads related to Optics didn't get any answer. I hope to have more luck!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
jasonRF
Mar9-10, 05:04 PM
P: 657
I am not an optics expert by any stretch, but I am familiar with Born and Wolf. It is old-fashioined and dense, yet contains a lot of good material on fundamentals of propagation, diffraction, coherence, etc. However, by no means is it introductory! It is at a similar level as Jackson's EM book.

jason
fluidistic
Mar9-10, 06:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,173
Ok thanks. I'll be looking for it. I'm also starting classical mechanics (level of Goldstein's book) and Electromagnetism (Jackson's book) aside; yet I didn't take any intro to Optics course. But I guess I can catch up with some upper level undergraduate Optics text book so thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Register to reply