Chemistry 30 Redox tables

by ahhhh
Tags: chemistry, redox, tables
ahhhh
Mar8-10, 06:13 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
ahhhh
Mar8-10, 06:19 PM
P: 2
I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...
Borek
Mar8-10, 06:23 PM
Admin
P: 22,656
http://www.google.com/search?q=standard+potential+table

The higher the potential, the stronger oxidizing agent. Quite the reverse when it comes to reduction.

Lazy
Mar8-10, 06:26 PM
P: 8

Chemistry 30 Redox tables

Okay, take for instance, a standard Copper/Zinc Galvanic Cell. When you look at the Standard Potential table [which I presume is what you're wondering about], look at the value and see whether if it like to remain as the ion or the solid [which what Redox is]. The more reactive metal, will like to become the ion, and in the case of the Copper/Zinc -

Zn2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Zn (-0.76V)

Cu2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Cu(0.34V)

Zinc likes to give off it's electrons to become the ion, hence the reverse voltage. So, simplified, just look at the Standard Potential if it is LOWER, so here, Zinc is being oxidized and Copper is being reduced. Hope that helped.
berkeman
Mar8-10, 06:53 PM
Mentor
P: 39,578
(Two threads merged)

Register to reply