Best statistical mechanics book?

by Physics_UG
Tags: book, mechanics, statistical
Physics_UG
Mar8-10, 10:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 240
I took stat mech as an undergrad but the textbook we used (statistical and thermal physics by sturge) was over my head. Can someone provide a good and readable (as readable as stat mech can get) textbook for stat mech? I am switching to a different research group in grad school that deals with device physic and device modeling and I feel I am lacking in the basics.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
marcusl
Mar9-10, 01:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
I suggest you look at Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, one of the most used texts over the years. I find his style to be clear, his explanations physical and intuitive. Some students, particularly those who learn through mathematical derivations, object to his wordiness. I think that's a strength that might be just what you are looking for.
jasonRF
Mar9-10, 05:09 PM
P: 652
I also like Reif's book for the same reasons. It is the book I learned from an I felt that overall he was quite clear and reasonably complete. One book that I like even better is Thermal Physics by Schroder. He has a very engaging style, goes out of his way to give interpretations of equations, and is great about examining interesting examples.

Physics_UG
Mar10-10, 03:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 240

Best statistical mechanics book?

Thanks for your help. I will check out these books.

Register to reply