Best statistical mechanics book?

by Physics_UG
Tags: book, mechanics, statistical
Share this thread:
Physics_UG
Mar8-10, 10:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 280
I took stat mech as an undergrad but the textbook we used (statistical and thermal physics by sturge) was over my head. Can someone provide a good and readable (as readable as stat mech can get) textbook for stat mech? I am switching to a different research group in grad school that deals with device physic and device modeling and I feel I am lacking in the basics.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
marcusl
Mar9-10, 01:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,059
I suggest you look at Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, one of the most used texts over the years. I find his style to be clear, his explanations physical and intuitive. Some students, particularly those who learn through mathematical derivations, object to his wordiness. I think that's a strength that might be just what you are looking for.
jasonRF
Mar9-10, 05:09 PM
P: 691
I also like Reif's book for the same reasons. It is the book I learned from an I felt that overall he was quite clear and reasonably complete. One book that I like even better is Thermal Physics by Schroder. He has a very engaging style, goes out of his way to give interpretations of equations, and is great about examining interesting examples.

Physics_UG
Mar10-10, 03:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 280
Best statistical mechanics book?

Thanks for your help. I will check out these books.

Register to reply