Calculate Hang Time of 2D Projectile Motion - TS

• Thread starter ThetaPi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, hang time refers to the amount of time that a projectile is in the air during 2D projectile motion. To calculate hang time, we need to find the time it takes for the projectile to reach its maximum height (t_1) and the time it takes to hit the ground after reaching maximum height (t_2), and then add them together. This can be done by using the equation s_y=v_{0y}t_1-1/2gt_1^2, where s_y represents the maximum height of the trajectory and v_{0y} represents the y-component of the initial velocity. It is important to note that the initial velocity in the x-direction does not affect the hang time.
ThetaPi
Could someone kindly explain to me what hang time is, in the context of 2D projectile motion? Enlighten me on the equations of motion that might be applicable to such a problem.

In other words, given a projectile launched at [tex]\theta$[/tex] above the horizontal with an initial velocity of [tex]v_0[/tex], how do we calculate the hang time?

Thoughts. We need to calculate the time it takes for the projectile to reach the maximum height of the trajectory ([tex]t_1[/tex]), and the time it takes to hit the ground after attaining its maximum height ([tex]t_2[/tex]), and then add up [tex]t_1+t_2[/tex]. I think that it will be convenient to use the y-component of [tex]v_0[/tex].

The maximum height of the trajectory is [tex]|1/2gt_2^2|[/tex]. We can use this in the equation [tex]s_y=v_{0y}t_1-1/2gt_1^2[/tex] to find [tex]t_1[/tex].

I am rather confused...some posts I saw while browsing the forums said that the initial velocity does not affect the "hang time".

Thank you
TS

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
velocity in the x-direction doesn't have an affect on hang time. hang time to me is simply the time that the projectile is in the air.

I know that, but how do we calculate that numerically?

I presume that hang time is dependent on the y-component of the initial velocity?

Thanks again.

right. you've written the equation that is going to give you the answer. If it is a projectile starting and stopping at the same y value, you know that maximum height has to be at half the total time its in the air. try working through it you seem to understand the concept

1. How do you calculate the hang time of a 2D projectile motion?

The hang time of a 2D projectile motion can be calculated using the formula:
t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g
Where t is the hang time, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the difference between hang time and flight time in projectile motion?

The hang time refers to the amount of time a projectile stays in the air before hitting the ground, while the flight time is the total time the projectile is in motion from the moment it is launched until it hits the ground.

3. Can the hang time of a 2D projectile motion be affected by air resistance?

Yes, the hang time of a 2D projectile motion can be affected by air resistance. In the presence of air resistance, the projectile will experience a decrease in its vertical velocity, resulting in a shorter hang time.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the hang time of a 2D projectile motion?

The angle of projection affects the hang time of a 2D projectile motion by changing the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. A higher angle of projection will result in a longer hang time as the vertical component of the initial velocity will be greater.

5. Is the hang time of a 2D projectile motion affected by the initial velocity?

Yes, the hang time of a 2D projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer hang time as the projectile will have a greater horizontal component of velocity, allowing it to travel a farther distance before hitting the ground.