Finding an orthogonal vector

by rocketman123
Tags: orthogonal, vector
Share this thread:
rocketman123
Mar19-10, 03:24 PM
P: 1
Hey guys,

Given a vector, ie < -1, 2, 3 > , how does one go about finding a vector which is orthogonal to it?

I also have another vector < x, y ,z > which is the point of origin for the above vector.

In context, I'm given a directional vector from which I need to find an 'up' vector and a 'horizontal' vector. You can see here http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~jli023...glechanged.jpg - I have a 'look_at' vector and must determine a suitable up and right vector.

I know that to get the right/ horiztonal vector I can just take the cross product between the directional / look at vector and the up vector. However, how to get the up vector confuses me.

A standard up vector is <0 1 0 >. Would it make sense to take the cross product of <0 1 0 > and the direction vector - to get the horizontal vector. And then take the cross product of the horizontal and directional vectors to get the proper up vector? It makes sense to me, however I have no real way of checking if my answer is correct! - I need to find some nice 3d plotting software hehe

Cheers,
Dan
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
tiny-tim
Mar20-10, 04:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Dan! Welcome to PF!

I'm confused surely all up vectors are the same?

(and not orthogonal to the 'look at' vector)

Register to reply