Electric field in a region with constant potential

by zdotcom
Tags: constant potential, delta d, delta v, electric field, plate capacitor
zdotcom
Mar20-10, 10:44 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When the potential is constant throughout a given region of space, is the electric field in the region also zero?

2. Relevant equations
in a parallel plate capacitor,
electric filed = - delta V / delta d

3. The attempt at a solution
It is difficult to understand how in a given region where the electric potential could be constant. That means at any given location, V=kq/r is the same everywhere and delta v equals zero. I can only relate this to a plate capacitor where the electric field is defined as - delta v / delta d. If delta v is zero, then E=0. Am I on the right track?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
xcvxcvvc
Mar20-10, 11:44 PM
P: 393
Quote Quote by zdotcom View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When the potential is constant throughout a given region of space, is the electric field in the region also zero?

2. Relevant equations
in a parallel plate capacitor,
electric filed = - delta V / delta d

3. The attempt at a solution
It is difficult to understand how in a given region where the electric potential could be constant. That means at any given location, V=kq/r is the same everywhere and delta v equals zero. I can only relate this to a plate capacitor where the electric field is defined as - delta v / delta d. If delta v is zero, then E=0. Am I on the right track?
yes. that equation you used comes from the calculus definition that relates electric potential and electric field.

[tex]E = -\frac{dV}{dr}[/tex]

this equation simplifies to the one you wrote if the rate of change of voltage with respect to displacement is a constant.

So electric field equals the negative of the rate of change in voltage. If voltage is constant, meaning it has a rate of change of zero, electric field also is zero.

Register to reply