Register to reply

Electric field in a region with constant potential

Share this thread:
zdotcom
Mar20-10, 10:44 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When the potential is constant throughout a given region of space, is the electric field in the region also zero?

2. Relevant equations
in a parallel plate capacitor,
electric filed = - delta V / delta d

3. The attempt at a solution
It is difficult to understand how in a given region where the electric potential could be constant. That means at any given location, V=kq/r is the same everywhere and delta v equals zero. I can only relate this to a plate capacitor where the electric field is defined as - delta v / delta d. If delta v is zero, then E=0. Am I on the right track?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
xcvxcvvc
Mar20-10, 11:44 PM
P: 393
Quote Quote by zdotcom View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
When the potential is constant throughout a given region of space, is the electric field in the region also zero?

2. Relevant equations
in a parallel plate capacitor,
electric filed = - delta V / delta d

3. The attempt at a solution
It is difficult to understand how in a given region where the electric potential could be constant. That means at any given location, V=kq/r is the same everywhere and delta v equals zero. I can only relate this to a plate capacitor where the electric field is defined as - delta v / delta d. If delta v is zero, then E=0. Am I on the right track?
yes. that equation you used comes from the calculus definition that relates electric potential and electric field.

[tex]E = -\frac{dV}{dr}[/tex]

this equation simplifies to the one you wrote if the rate of change of voltage with respect to displacement is a constant.

So electric field equals the negative of the rate of change in voltage. If voltage is constant, meaning it has a rate of change of zero, electric field also is zero.

Register to reply