Register to reply

Linear First Order Difference Equations (Iterative/General Method)

Share this thread:
rabbitchannel
Mar21-10, 05:46 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am almost done with a chapter all about this topic and this type of question is the only one I can't get. This is linear first order difference equations. The question is:

Given the unemployment Ut equation:

Ut = [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex] Ut-1
[tex]\alpha[/tex], [tex]\beta[/tex] > 0

b. Suppose that there are occasional shocks to the demand for labor causing shifts in Ut. The modified equation for Ut becomes:

Ut = [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex] Ut-1 + et

where et varies over time. Show that the solution to the modified equation is:

Ut = [tex]\beta[/tex]tU0 + [tex]\frac{\alpha(1-\betat)}{1-\beta}[/tex] + e1[tex]\beta[/tex]t-1 + e2[tex]\beta[/tex]t-2 + ... + et-1[tex]\beta[/tex] + et

Don't know how to fix that there. It should be (1-[tex]\beta[/tex]t)

2. Relevant equations

General Method:
Pc + Pp = General method

Yt = (Y0 - [tex]\frac{c}{1+a}[/tex])(-a)t + [tex]\frac{c}{1+a}[/tex]

I've also got the derived formula for supply and demand but that requires two functions.

3. The attempt at a solution
Ok, I can't get the iteration. This is what I've tried:

Ut = [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex]Ut-1 + et

Ut+1 = [tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex]Ut + et+1

After this point I don't know what to do. I tried to do this:

Ut+1 = [tex]\beta[/tex]([tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\beta[/tex]Ut + et+1) + [tex]\alpha[/tex] + et+1

Basically multiplying the whole equation by [tex]\beta[/tex] then adding: [tex]\alpha[/tex] + et+1. Once I do it for 3 periods I can determine the general function but it is different from the given one. I lack the 1-[tex]\beta[/tex] on that denominator. I can solve other equations but have trouble when something else, such as et+1 is added. I've also used the general method but it also turns out different. I was under the impression that I can use the iterative and general solutions for any first order linear difference equation. Am I wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I would like to thank the system for auto-logging me out while trying to preview my first ever post, thereby deleting a chunk of what I wrote. Good thing I saved. :\
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker

Register to reply