Rotate a plane through its coefficients

In summary, the conversation involved creating a program to rotate planes around the origin using given coefficients and Euler angles. Different methods were discussed, including parametrization and direct substitution, to restore the original form of the plane equation after rotation. Both approaches are correct, but the final step of rotating (a,b,c) is recommended for simplicity. It is important to rotate around the correct axis in the correct order for accurate results.
TheDestroyer
Hello mathematicians,

I'm creating a program and I need in this program to rotate some planes around the origin, while I'm given the coefficients a,b,c and d for this plane, they represent a plane of the form:

a x + b y + c z = d

So these coefficients are given and I want to rotate the plane with Euler angles (alpha, beta and gamma).

What I tried is the following:
As a first step, I need to parametrise this plane, to do that I casted this simple parametrisation:

x = u,
y = v,
z = (d - a u - b v)/c

So now to apply the rotation I just have to use the rotation group, as follows:

x' = u cos(alpha) + v sin(alpha),
y' = -u sin(alpha) + v cos(alpha),
z' = z,

where x',y',z' are the rotated coordinates.

Now the problem appears here. How will I restore this form as coefficients a,b,c and d to be in the first formulation ax'+by'+cz'=d? In other words how will I cancel the parametrisation?

Have I chosen the shortest path? is there a smarter way to do this?

Any effort is highly appreciated,

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Of course you will need to do your rotation for all three Euler angles.

TheDestroyer said:
Now the problem appears here. How will I restore this form as coefficients a,b,c and d to be in the first formulation ax'+by'+cz'=d? In other words how will I cancel the parametrisation?
To do this you can use
[tex]\vec{x}=u\vec{a}+v\vec{b}+\vec{c}[/tex]
and multiply out
[tex]\therefore \vec{n}\cdot\vec{x}=\vec{n}\cdot\vec{c}[/tex]
where the normal vector
[tex]\vec{n}=\vec{a}\times\vec{b}[/tex]
is the cross product.

However I would recommend a simpler approach:
Just rotate the vector (a,b,c) (which is the normal vector) to get new coefficients (a',b',c'). Check it, but I believe this should work. For rotations about the origin, the value of d should be unchanged

Thank you so much for your answer :)

Actually I apparently have found a very simple way, but maybe you could tell me whether it's right, because it seems trivial somehow!

The method is to substitute the rotations directly in the plane equation without parametrising, so to do the first rotation for example:

ax+by+cz=d ->
a(x cos(alpha) + y sin(alpha)) + b(-x sin(alpha) + y cos(alpha)) + cz = d

where I did the substitution:
x -> x cos(alpha) + y sin(alpha)
y -> -x sin(alpha) + y cos(alpha)

Now after this, I rearrange the equation again to restore the original form a'x+b'y+c'z=d, and the result is:

a' = a cos(alpha) - b sin(alpha)
b' = a sin(alpha) + b cos(alpha)
c' = c

where a', b' and c' are the coefficients for the rotated plane.

Actually I plotted both planes and I found a rotation around the z axis :D... What do you think? is this right? maybe there's something I can't visualise ;)

Thank you again!

I guess it's correct. It probably just depends what someone finds easier to visualize. In my method you'd directly use your final equation since I know that (a,b,c) is the normal vector of the plane.

Of course in the end you need to do you the one angle rotation for all three Euler angles. Make sure you rotate around the correct axis in the correct order ;)

Hi,

I'm a little confused. After all, which one is the solution? The "TheDestroyer" one? Or rotating (a,b,c) - the Gerenuk's one? Or...are they basically the same?

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

Last edited:

What is meant by "Rotate a plane through its coefficients"?

Rotating a plane through its coefficients refers to transforming a two-dimensional plane by changing the values of its coefficients, such as the slope and y-intercept of a linear equation.

Why would someone want to rotate a plane through its coefficients?

Rotating a plane through its coefficients can be useful for visualizing and analyzing data, as well as for solving geometry and physics problems.

What are the most common methods for rotating a plane through its coefficients?

The most common methods for rotating a plane through its coefficients include using matrices, trigonometric functions, and coordinate transformations.

Is it possible to rotate a plane through its coefficients without changing its shape?

No, rotating a plane through its coefficients will always result in a change in its shape, unless the coefficients happen to be the same as the original ones.

Are there any real-world applications for rotating a plane through its coefficients?

Yes, rotating a plane through its coefficients is commonly used in fields such as engineering, graphics design, and computer programming for tasks such as image manipulation and 3D modeling.