Force applied on a falling mass

In summary: That aside, doing 6 reps would definitely be more work, and would be better for the muscle because it would be utilizing more of the muscle's potential.
Deadstar

Homework Statement

Hey guys how are you all.

Lets see, I'm not a physicist (mathematician actually) but I'm involved in this discussion (some may be aware...) and would like some physics help. (This is not an assessment, tutorial, university, school etc question.)

Here's the scenario. (Hope I word everything right)

An object with a weight of 100N has a force applied to it so that it takes 4 seconds to fall 0.5m at a constant speed.

We then repeat except...
The same object then has a force applied to it so that it takes 0.5 seconds to fall 0.5m at a constant speed.

How do I calculate the forces applied (I guess they would be applied upwards) on the object in both scenarios?

To save you time... An object free falling 0.5m takes 0.3192754285 seconds.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Deadstar,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Deadstar said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys how are you all.

Lets see, I'm not a physicist (mathematician actually) but I'm involved in this discussion (some may be aware...) and would like some physics help. (This is not an assessment, tutorial, university, school etc question.)

Here's the scenario. (Hope I word everything right)

An object with a weight of 100N has a force applied to it so that it takes 4 seconds to fall 0.5m at a constant speed.

We then repeat except...
The same object then has a force applied to it so that it takes 0.5 seconds to fall 0.5m at a constant speed.

How do I calculate the forces applied (I guess they would be applied upwards) on the object in both scenarios?

To save you time... An object free falling 0.5m takes 0.3192754285 seconds.

Thanks guys!

In both cases (ignoring the free-fall case), the acceleration is zero, since the velocity is constant. That means that the force in both cases is identical. And, the applied force is equal in magnitude to the gravitational force, mg = 100 N (but opposite in direction).

The work done is also equal in both cases. Here,
W = Fz,
where F = mg = 100 N, and z = 0.5 m.
Using these units you can calculate the work in Joules.

The difference between the two situations is power (measured in Watts or horsepower, etc.)

Power is a measure of energy (work in this case) per unit time.

P = W/[tex] \Delta t[/tex]

(If W is measured in Joules, and [tex] \Delta t[/tex] in seconds, then the average power P is in units of Watts)
Since each scenario performs the same amount of work in different amounts of time, the power is different in each scenario.

[The above ignores the brief moments of acceleration when the object first starts moving and stops moving. The problem is phrased such that the object is only considered when moving at a constant velocity. Likewise, the above response only considers the object when it is moving at a constant velocity.]

Well, there a couple issues. First, you must know that for an object to fall at a constant speed the forces must be in equilibrium. So, if you're ignoring drag, then the upward force that needs to be applied is simply mass times the acceleration of gravity: mg

With Newton's second law:
[tex]
\sum F = F_{up} + F_{g} = ma = 0
[/tex]
So,
[tex]
F_{up} = F_{g} = mg
[/tex]

EDIT: What he said.

I see very interesting! Thanks for the reply.

This is based on a thread we are all arguing about on another site about the difference in force between fast repetitions and slow repetitions when lifting a weight. You may be aware of someone called wayne (Possibly waynelucky)? I believe he posted a thread of two here however his way of explaining isn't that clear...

His general consensus was the following.

Doing 6 reps (repetitions) taking 0.5 seconds on the positive part of the rep and 0.5 seconds on the negative part of the rep was better than doing 1 rep which had a 2 second positive and a 4 second negative.

Here, positive means... I suppose the lifting part, negative being the lowering of the weight.

Both scenarios last 6 seconds but the questions are does one scenario require you to use more force? Does this mean more muscular work and does this mean it will give you better results?

Now my thoughts (that I had just now, haven't been arguing this) was that you had to apply more force to lower a weight slower. However I can see that I was wrong and my understanding of physics isn't really that good. That was why I posted this question and could check before I began arguing rubbish.

Do you have any opinion on the rep speed argument? If the weight was say, 80lbs and the most you could lift was 100lbs, 6 reps at 0.5/0.5 vs 1 rep at 2/4..?

I would say that the complexities of a human movement like a 'rep' can't be broken down into a simple equation, like saying time = this, hence force = this. However the thing to note is that even when the acceleration is 0 the weight will still be applying tension on the muscles involved in the lift. It just remains to determine how much!

1. What is the formula for calculating the force applied on a falling mass?

The formula for calculating the force applied on a falling mass is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does air resistance affect the force on a falling mass?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It increases as the speed of the falling mass increases. Therefore, air resistance decreases the net force on a falling mass, leading to a slower acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in a falling object?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force applied on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of the falling object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration, the greater the force applied.

4. How does the height of a fall impact the force on a falling mass?

The height of a fall does not directly impact the force applied on a falling mass. However, as the object falls, it gains kinetic energy and its velocity increases, leading to a higher force applied upon impact with the ground.

5. What factors can affect the force on a falling mass?

The force on a falling mass can be affected by various factors, such as the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the height of the fall. Other factors that can influence the force include the shape and surface area of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object, such as wind or friction.