Do you consider masturbation a sin?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of masturbation and whether it is considered a sin or not. Some participants argue that it is not a sin and can even have health benefits, while others believe it goes against religious beliefs. The conversation also touches on the concept of sexual relationships outside of marriage and how traditional religious dogma has shamed and stigmatized masturbation. Some participants mention the importance of mutual consent and intimacy in sexual relationships, rather than solely focusing on physical appearance.

Do you think masturbation is a sin?

• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
if you read your PF guidelines prior to registering, you would know that the admin or mentor of the forum has the right to edit content in which she or he chooses...so i took that liberty...if the topic continues to sway from the the question posed, i can always lock it as well...

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by megashawn
I find it interesting that if you look at the bible for the answer to this, not only is it considered a sin, but it is better to sleep with a prostitute then to masterbate.

Poor lot got caught doing the solo nasty, and God killed him for it.

I believe that is where the line "Don't spill your seed on the floor" came from.
Actually I don't think this was Lot you're referring to here. It was Onan, the son of Judah, whose brother Er had been killled by "the Lord" for being wicked, and Onan was supposed to marry Er's wife and bring up a son in Er's name. And Onan married her and had intercourse with her, but instead of fulfilling his obligation, he spilled his seed on the ground. Which so displeased the Lord that he slew Onan as well. So this obviously is not referring to masturbation here (Genesis 38:1-10). Or, maybe he didn't have intercourse with her? It's a bit hard to tell the way the verse is worded? :wink: Either way he didn't fulfill his obligation (whether he was masturbating or not).

Then, either that same story or maybe in deuteronomy (Spelling) it says "Your seed is better in the belly of a whore then spilled out on the ground".
Am not familiar with this verse here, but suspect it's along the same lines as above.

So, does this mean if we all adopt a christian point of view that prostitution can become legal and I can finally pursue my dream of being a pimp?

Wheres my baby powder?
LOL!

Considering the number of times on average it takes to conceive anyway, it seems like 'spilling the seed' should be somewhat irrelevant considering the number of seeds that are 'wasted' on intercourse that doesn't result in conception and the seeds that aren't the one to get there first.

To Mr. Parsons:

I would say that the reason why people form ideas in their heads of what their mate should be like is based on what they are taught. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with masturbation. The way parents talk about other people maybe commenting on what they look like or any number of things have more to do with it than masturbation. When I had sex for the first time and the times after that I certainly wasn't 'let down' because it wasn't what I had built it up to be. I knew it wasn't going to be how I imagined because 99% of the time NOTHING IS. Anyone who has problems because sex is not what they thought it would be has issues. They are apparently so conceited that they can't imagine not knowing something so they have built it up to something it isn't and can't stand the fact that they were wrong. I would say that those who masturbate are going to be more at ease, calm, accepting, etc. with their sex life in years to come. It shows that they were curious to know and wanting to learn and not 'masturbatingly abstinent' either because they thought they knew it all and didn't need to learn or they were AFRAID to learn because of the BS they have been told.

I will agree with eNtRopY. Although I will try to be more tactful. Nothing personal eNt, I just haven't been put through the BS that you have since I have posted here ALOT less. Personally I don't see what is the big deal of threads getting a little off topic. With a yes or no question as this thread is based on, I don't think it would be much of a thread if we weren't allowed to broaden the discussion. If this becomes the case though it is unlikely I will continue to frequent physics forums. To control posting THAT MUCH sounds like someone somewhere, and I am not naming any names because I have seen it in other areas besides this one, has a control freek problem.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
It has been a while since I wasted any time reading scripture, but there is no passage I know of in the Bible saying that. It appears to have been derived in part from the story of Onan, who cast his seed on the ground rather than shoot same into his brother’s wife… (He had no probs doing his dead brother’s wife, apparently, but didn’t want to impregnate the woman). More for failing in his duty to extend his Brother’s line did the evil-one strike him dead, than because he ‘spilled it’ on the ground. The moral of the story;
When god and custom/law command you to ejaculate, you’re supposed to shout “how much, and where?”

If anything, I would interpret this story as being a message that God doesn't want you to ejaculate for pleasure. This of course would include sexual recreation with one's own wife.

Then again, there are people out there who enjoy living their lives according to the unexplained dogma of an overbearing tyrant. I think they're the same people who enjoy being censored in this forum.

eNtRopY

If I recall the Biblical story properly it was a man who agreed to impregnate his living brothers wife, who was, at that time, incapable of performing the task himself. He made this agreement, with his brother, but reneged on the agreement, at the moment of climax, ("Spilling his seed on the ground") because he liked sleeping with his brothers wife,and wanted to continue to do so, that was why God killed him, because he broke his word to his brother.

Doc I suspect that you have missed the point I was trying to make, because, in fantasy, people develop certain expectations, while fantasizing they develop reactive abiltiies and react to the stimuli that they employ to arouse themselves. Hence in futur encounters they will, (unsuspectingly/unawares) look for the same things that have aroused them in the past, from their fantasy life, which may not be what they really need at all, it might actually be the thing that keeps them from exploring/finding the right people for the encounters they would wish/want to have.

Further is the simple reality of "Lusting in your Heart" unprovable what the consequences of that actually are, but I can assure you, they are there.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Well, it is something about "Learning from Everything that you Do", otherwise you are, really, purposefully, wasting your own time.

Nonesense . . . it is not a waste of time to let off steam, find ways to unwind, relax. You may learn something from doing that, but it isn't the main focus. There are plenty of things we do where the main purpose it to maintain or improve health, and not to learn. And we very much need activities like that. If masterbation happens to be one of them, so what?

Condescending, self-righteous platitudes are really a turn off. Nothing makes people want to misbehave more than all the moralizing laid on them, especially by people who if you could follow them in their everyday life would prove unqualified to preach to anybody. Think of what turned Jesus' stomach the most . . . hypocracy.

As for the fantasizing about a "Perfect Partner", leads to dis-satisfaction, with whomever you end up with, as they will never meet that standard, so you are setting yourself up for failure!??

Ever heard of visualization? Mostly kidding there, but c'mon man, lighten up. When you don't have a partner, about all you can do is fantasize. What should people do, fantasize about someone they consider ugly?

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
Condescending, self-righteous platitudes are really a turn off. Nothing makes people want to misbehave more than all the moralizing laid on them, especially by people who if you could follow them in their everyday life would prove unqualified to preach to anybody. Think of what turned Jesus' stomach the most . . . hypocracy.

Curiosity, is this directed (referencing?) towards me?

Believe me Parsons, after I have 'done the deed alone' my mind is more clear in what I want/need than ever. The feelings of lust are intensified without that release. Those feelings cloud judgement. So, in a sense what you are saying is to refrain from strokin', fall for the first thing that comes along since your mind will be pretty clouded in what you want/need (at least mine would be), hook up, get married, realize that you aren't with the person you thought, live your life in misery, be tempted to cheat on your spouse or divorce, etc. etc. A comittment of mariage is for LIFE. Why would you cloud judgement on whom you are going to pick?

You could argue that in real 2 person sex you are subconciously expecting something that doesn't exist in the real world. Maybe you are. But CONCIOUSLY you know that you don't know what to expect because you have never done it before. My first time with another person was NOT AT ALL like I had imagined. It was much better in a lot of ways but not so good in some ways since first times are always awkward. Anyone whose 2 person sex life doesn't live up to their one person sex life either has an incredibly wild imagination or isn't doing something right, which is hard to believe. And anyone who has THAT WILD of an imagination and can't live with reality probably has other issues going on.

It has been said that every mans fantasy is to be with 2 women at the same time. In reality, that doesn't happen as much as a lot of guys would want. NICE guys respect their girls wishes since a marriage is give and take. BOTH sides have to agree. If not, it doesn't happen. A person could take this a lot farther than masturbation. An inventor should not invent because he/she will be imagining what the end product will be. Alot of inventions never turn out. "Oh damn, my imagination once again succeeded my end result. I'm ruined for life." Grow the f u c k up. Life is not all cheery and what most of us expected. Once a person learns this it is a lot easier.

Originally posted by Rob
Doc I suspect that you have missed the point I was trying to make

I think everyone missed the point that you where trying to make, just like the rest of your posts.

Originally posted by Doc
Believe me (Mr.Robin) Parsons, after I have 'done the deed alone' my mind is more clear in what I want/need than ever. (SNoP)

Funny because after you have done the dead as you so colorfully(?) call it, you should be sated, hence you mind would not be "clearer on what you need", as that has supposedly been satisfied, but apparently you haven't 'sated' it just yet, or something.(?)

Originally posted by andy

I think everyone missed the point that you where trying to make, just like the rest of your posts.

Funny did they elect you "head of representation"? as you seem to think you can speak for "all" of the rest of the poeple here, not surprising that you would willingly try to make such a false representation.

Aside from that andy, apparently you are still proving to all, just what a wretched little deciept you are, still reading me. What a silly little boy.

Originally posted by Doc
It has been said that every mans fantasy is to be with 2 women at the same time. In reality, that doesn't happen as much as a lot of guys would want. NICE guys respect their girls wishes since a marriage is give and take. BOTH sides have to agree. If not, it doesn't happen. A person could take this a lot farther than masturbation. An inventor should not invent because he/she will be imagining what the end product will be. Alot of inventions never turn out. "Oh damn, my imagination once again succeeded my end result. I'm ruined for life." Grow the f * * k up. Life is not all cheery and what most of us expected. Once a person learns this it is a lot easier

Just what the heck is this supposed to mean?? other then self contradicting, silly, nonsense that is about as meaningful as having to endure someone (like you) passing gas.

As for Grow up, YUP you should!

EDIT SP!

PS your analogy is really rather silly, and way off!

I just read somewhere that regular masterbation can reduce the chances of getting several cancers in the genital area.

Mr. Robin Parsons: My comment about growing up was not directly aimed at you. Although after rereading my post I can see how you could read it that way and I am sorry for that. The comment was aimed at those who feel that real life has not lived up to their fantasy. That IS what your whole point of view is based on.

As for being sated: As defined by Webster, it could be described as full or complete gratification. Yeah, that's the point. Sexual desires can be quenched by most anyone of the opposite sex, but not necessarily the right person for you. With those desires out of the way one can concentrate on OTHER important aspects of a possible relationship or marriage such as whether your partner will be understanding, a good parent, good provider, I really don't need to name anything else. So like I said before, if the desires are left pent up, you stand a better chance of hooking up with someone who is not right for you. My whole point is that unreleased sexual desires tend to cloud judgement. Who wants to go through life making important decisions impaired? As for one of Websters other definitions of sated (if that is the one you are referring to) I seriously doubt the weariness or almost impaired state of mind lasts a few minutes after sex as opposed to sexual desires that last for days or weeks without relief.

As for your question about "Just what the heck is this supposed to mean??" concerning some mens fantasy with two women:

What I am stating is that there is a perfect example of a fantasy unfulfilled. Is it the number one reason for divorce? You decide. Sorry I wasn't more 'clear'.

I also now assume that you don't 'pass gas'. I guess you are above that. Can you come up with something more original than that?

Originally posted by Doc
As for your question about "Just what the heck is this supposed to mean??" concerning some mens fantasy with two women:

I was referring to this piece of your writing...

Originally posted by Doc
An inventor should not invent because he/she will be imagining what the end product will be. Alot of inventions never turn out. "Oh damn, my imagination once again succeeded my end result. I'm ruined for life."

Which, to me, is basically nonsense, as the syntax of it doesn't even follow sense...just a poorly executed analogy, I suppose(?)...

Anyays I agree with the direction Greg gives us, anyone else read or heard of it possibly reducing the risks of cancers, I had read some about the (possible) risk reductions in prostate cancer...

Last edited:
Originally posted by Me
It is also supposed to help reduce the risk of getting prostate cancer.

If you had been reading the posts you would have seen that in my second post in this thread that's what i said.

Originally posted by Andy
If you had been reading the posts you would have seen that in my second post in this thread that's what i said.

And as I had stated...
Originally posted by Moi, Mr. RP
(SNIP)anyone else read or heard of it possibly reducing the risks of cancers, (SNoP)

Because, contrary to what little you actually can think, NOT everything that goes on, is written, (especially by MOI!) in these forums, is meant, solely, and exclusively, for you, egotistical little runt!

Anyays I agree with the direction ANDY gives us, anyone else read or heard of it possibly reducing the risks of cancers, I had read some about the (possible) risk reductions in prostate cancer.

So why didnt you say that after first reading that post by me? Or is it just because Greg is the Boss around here.

I know your avatar isn't there just to please me but i must admit i like this one that you have now.

Well, I used to be very interested in masturbation, and i used to question people a lot about it. Mostly i found that yes, most guys do it, a lot. Many women do too. But the question of it being a sin? well it would depend on the religion or faith. Some religions do not believe in denying one's self pleasure, as long as it hurts none. But many religions would say that sex, in any form, is a sin, unless it is intended for conception. God gave man the ability to reproduce, and it happens to be enjoyable, but just as gluttony is a sin even though we all need to eat, so is sex, when it's not for the right reasons.

Using a condom, masturbating, and anal, are all sins in that they are not meant for reproduction and therefore are not as God intended. It's just giving into temptation.

Sin's, however, are forgiven anyways.

Anyays I agree with the direction Greg gives us ...

What's up with that, trying to make everyone nauseous? Maybe we need a new thread, "Is ass kissing a sin?"

. . . anyone else read or heard of it possibly reducing the risks of cancers, I had read some about the (possible) risk reductions in prostate cancer...

Masterbation has been studied and recommended for quite a few years now, and most well-informed people have heard of its benefts for relieving stress to lowering the risk of certain cancers, as well as assisting people with abstinence.

You seem to be coming from a Christian perspective, so here's a link for you to check out: http://www.epigee.org/guide/christian/104.html

Because, contrary to what little you actually can think . . . you, egotistical little runt!

Ahhhhh, the love that so characterizes the person who knows the Truth!

The kids here are goofing on you because of your self-righteous attitude. Sin . . . it is a stupid concept, and makes no sense. The stuff God tolerates from humans is amazing. Yet give other humans a pen and paper and few centuries to edit it to perfection, and they will write a host of things we need to feel guilty and be intolerant about. Then they stick it in a book and call it "holy," and go around trying to act superior to non-believers.

If people think that represents God, no wonder there are so many atheists.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up with that, trying to make everyone nauseous? Maybe we need a new thread, "Is ass kissing a sin?"

I would vote for "Yes!"

However, I do not think that agreement between the freely expressed opinons of two diferent people constitutes "Insert your expression", neither does trying to maintain a direction of the thread, nor does caring about what kind of example, hence "ass'i'stance" you offer, in your words.

Ahhhhh, the love that so characterizes the person who knows the Truth!

Please, how does myself having admitted to "knowing the truth", about myself, get twisted into this tripe, sarcasm, that's how.

Now this parts some fun..
The kids here are goofing on you because of your self-righteous attitude.

Followed by your demonstration of just what a "self righteous attitude" actually is...

Sin . . . it is a stupid concept, and makes no sense. The stuff God tolerates from humans is amazing.

As apparently that idea that "Sin" is an understanding gifted to us, from God, is something that you have decided is stupid, NOW THAT'S
<<SELF RIGHTEOUS!>>

Originallyposted by Gale 17
God gave man the ability to reproduce, and it happens to be enjoyable, but just as gluttony is a sin even though we all need to eat, so is sex, when it's not for the right reasons.

Agree with the principal, it's the practise, that takes the time, to get it right.

Les, does my agreeing with Gale 17 make me, what you have called me, all over again? or do you discriminate?

EDIT SP!

Last edited:
Childlike? as in having the qualities of a child, like innocence and frankness? I don't think so rob, unless your peter pan.

nothing but bickering...