Probability of Xavier & Yolanda Meeting at Cafe

In summary, Xavier and Yolanda have classes that end at noon and have agreed to meet every day after class. Their arrival times are measured in minutes after noon, with Xavier's arrival time being X and Yolanda's arrival time being Y. The individual density functions for their arrival times are f1(x) = {e^−x if x ≥ 0, 0 if x < 0} and f2(y) ={y/50 if 0 ≤ y≤ 10, 0 otherwise.} Yolanda will wait up to 30 minutes for Xavier at the cafe, while Xavier will email Yolanda and leave for the library if she is not there. To find the probability of them meeting
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Xavier and Yolanda both have classes that end at noon and they agree to meet every day after class. They arrive at a campus cafe independently. Xavier’s arrival time is X and Yolanda’s arrival time is Y , where X and Y are measured in minutes after noon. The
individual density functions are:
f1(x) = {e^−x if x ≥ 0,
0 if x < 0}
f2(y) ={y/50 if 0 ≤ y≤ 10,
0 otherwise.}
After Yolanda arrives, she will wait at the cafe up to half an hour for Xavier and then go to the library. On the other hand, if Xavier arrives and does not find Yolanda, he will email her a message and leave immediately for the library. Find the probability that they meet at the cafe.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that you would just multiple f1(x) by f2(x) and then integrate that function to get the answer. However, I am not entirely certain of what the bounds would be for that integral.

Help please.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Write down the inequalities that Y and X must satisfy for the cafe meeting to happen
2. Draw a picture in the xy plane showing the region that describes.

That picture is where you will get the correct limits.

I don't understand what these inequalities are or what this region that you are saying I should draw is.
I thought there was supposed to just be one function that was f1(x) times f2(y)...Or that is what I was lead to believe in class.

Well, for example, if Xavier arrives he won't wait for Yolanda. What does that, by itself, tell you about the arrival times Y and X for successful meeting?

That they will only have a successful meeting if she arrives on time. But I don't get how that becomes bounds of integration.

LCKurtz said:
Well, for example, if Xavier arrives he won't wait for Yolanda. What does that, by itself, tell you about the arrival times Y and X for successful meeting?

simmonj7 said:
That they will only have a successful meeting if she arrives on time. But I don't get how that becomes bounds of integration.

To say she "arrives on time" doesn't mean anything. The point is that the fact Xavier won't wait for her tells you a relation between their arrival times for a successful meeting. So you need to express that fact with an inequality between Y and X. And the fact that she won't wait more than 30 minutes tells you another relation which you can express with another inequality. You have to figure out those two inequalities and write them down with X's and Y's before you have a chance to figure out the limits. An English sentence description won't do; you need the mathematical statements.

Yes, I understand that a sentence in English won't do me any good.
However, what I have been trying to communicate with you is that I have no idea what to do on this problem and where to get these inequalities from or how to construct them. I have not done or seen a problem of this sort before and I am essentially clueless so what you are saying is not really helping me understand that.

I know, I know. One thing at a time. Can you answer these two questions by reading the description of the problem:

1. If X < Y will they have a successful meeting?

2. If X > Y will they have a successful meeting?

Sorry about that I just really wasn't given a good background of this concept and want to fully understand it. Thank you.

But anyways, X is Xavier's arrival time and Y is Yolanda's arrival time.
So if X < Y, then Xavier arrives first and since he doesn't wait they will not have a successful arrival time.

If X > Y, Yolanda arrived first so they will have a successful arrival time as long as he arrives within 30 minutes after she arrived.

simmonj7 said:
Sorry about that I just really wasn't given a good background of this concept and want to fully understand it. Thank you.

But anyways, X is Xavier's arrival time and Y is Yolanda's arrival time.
So if X < Y, then Xavier arrives first and since he doesn't wait they will not have a successful arrival time.

Yes. So for success you can't have X < Y so you must have Y ≤ X. That is your first condition

If X > Y, Yolanda arrived first so they will have a successful arrival time as long as he arrives within 30 minutes after she arrived.

Yes. So X ≤ ? for success. You have to have both inequalities work for success.

Once you have these two inequalities, they will describe a region in the xy plane showing when the meeting happens. You also have the region in the xy plane where your joint density function that you have:

f(x,y) = fX(x)fY(y)

is non-zero. The region in the xy plane where you have success is the region you must integrate your joint density function over. Starting to make sense?

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much.

What is the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe?

The probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe depends on various factors such as their daily routines, the size and location of the cafe, and their likelihood of choosing the same cafe. Without more information, it is impossible to accurately determine the probability.

How can we calculate the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe?

To calculate the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe, we would need to know the total number of cafes in the area, the number of times they visit cafes, and the likelihood of them choosing the same cafe. We could then use a formula such as the multiplication rule or the addition rule to determine the probability.

What factors affect the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe?

The following factors can affect the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe: their daily routines, the frequency of their cafe visits, the number and location of cafes in the area, and their likelihood of choosing the same cafe. Other factors such as weather and traffic conditions can also impact the probability.

Can we accurately predict if Xavier and Yolanda will meet at Cafe?

Without more information and data, it is difficult to predict with certainty if Xavier and Yolanda will meet at Cafe. Probability is based on chance and cannot provide a definite answer. However, we can make an educated guess by considering the factors that influence the probability.

How can knowing the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe be useful?

Knowing the probability of Xavier and Yolanda meeting at Cafe can be useful for cafe owners to determine the potential customer traffic and adjust their resources accordingly. It can also help individuals make decisions about their daily routines and the likelihood of running into someone they know. Additionally, understanding probability can also improve our understanding of chance and randomness in our daily lives.