Expected value and nonnegative random variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected value (EV) of monotone decreasing and increasing functions. It is mentioned that the EV of a nonnegative random variable t, with a continuous density h(.), is given by E(t)=[int](1-F(t))dt, where F(.) represents the cumulative distribution function (cdf) of h(.). It is then asked if the EV of a nonpositive random variable v is given by E(v)=-[int](1-F(v))dv. The conversation also mentions that the EV of a monotone increasing function g(x) is E(g(x))=[int]g'(x)(1-F(x))dx. Finally, it is proposed that the EV of a monotone decreasing function
webbster
Hi All,

i got a short question concerning the ev of a monotone decreasing function.

when i got a nonnegative random variable t, then its ev (with a continuous density h(.)) is given by
E(t)=[int](1-F(t))dt
Then if v is a nonpositive random variable, is its ev given by
E(v)=-[int](1-F(v))dv
?
Hence,
i got that the ev of a monotone increasing function g(x) is:
E(g(x))=[int]g'(x)(1-F(x))dx

Now, let b(x) denote a monotone decreasing function. Therefore: z(x)=-b(x) is a monotone increasing function.
Am I correct, that it got the ev of b(x) by
E(b(x))=-E(z(x))
and thus
E(b(x))= - [int]z'(x)(1-F(x))dx
?

any thoughts are highly appreciated!

thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org

What is expected value?

The expected value of a random variable is the average value it would take over an infinite number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing them all together. It is denoted by E(X) or μ.

How is expected value useful?

Expected value is useful because it allows us to predict the average outcome of a random variable. It can also be used to compare different random variables and make decisions based on their expected values.

What is a nonnegative random variable?

A nonnegative random variable is a random variable that can only take on nonnegative values (i.e. 0 or positive numbers). This type of random variable is commonly used in situations where negative values do not make sense, such as in the context of money or time.

How do you calculate the expected value of a nonnegative random variable?

To calculate the expected value of a nonnegative random variable, you can use the same formula as for any random variable, which is to multiply each possible outcome by its probability and sum them all together. However, in the case of a nonnegative random variable, you only need to consider the nonnegative outcomes in your calculation.

Can the expected value be negative?

No, the expected value cannot be negative for a nonnegative random variable. This is because the expected value is a measure of the average value of the random variable, and negative values are not considered in the calculation for a nonnegative random variable.