Register to reply

Ball Launched from spring gun (max height)

by jti3066
Tags: ball, height, launched, spring
Share this thread:
jti3066
Apr24-10, 05:54 PM
P: 46
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball of mass m is launched at an angle theta from a spring gun of length D. The lower end of the gun, where the spring is attatched, is at ground level. The spring has spring constant k and an unstretched length D. Before launch, the spring is compressed to a length d.

Determine the maximum height h above the ground the ball reaches.

2. Relevant equations

(k(x^2)/2)=mgh

?? x = mgcos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Plugging in "x" I get: h=(k(mgcos(theta))^2)/2mg

Is this correct? If not please explain in detail and provide the steps and solution. TIA.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Doc Al
Apr24-10, 06:08 PM
Mentor
P: 41,489
Quote Quote by jti3066 View Post
(k(x^2)/2)=mgh
Here x is a velocity. You can use conservation of energy to find the additional height reached after the ball leaves the gun, if x is the vertical component of the speed at that point. Note that h will not be the height above the ground.

?? x = mgcos(theta)
You can't set a velocity (x) equal to a force.

3. The attempt at a solution

Plugging in "x" I get: h=(k(mgcos(theta))^2)/2mg

Is this correct?
No. Note that you haven't even used the spring constant or the amount the spring was compressed.

Try to solve it in two steps: Find the speed of the ball as it leaves the gun. Then find the height that it reaches after it becomes a projectile.
jti3066
Apr24-10, 06:38 PM
Well then I guess I have no idea what i'm doing then...A little more help please

K_i + U_i + S_i = K_f + U_f + S_f

K = .5mv^2

U = mgh

S = .5kx^2

What is the muzzle velocity?

How to find the height that it reaches?

Doc Al
Apr25-10, 09:36 AM
Mentor
P: 41,489
Ball Launched from spring gun (max height)

Quote Quote by jti3066 View Post

K_i + U_i + S_i = K_f + U_f + S_f

K = .5mv^2

U = mgh

S = .5kx^2

What is the muzzle velocity?
To find the muzzle velocity, use conservation of energy as you outlined above. Hint: What's the change in height of the ball as it travels through the gun?

How to find the height that it reaches?
Once the ball leaves the gun it's a projectile. Solve that part like any other projectile motion problem.
jti3066
Apr25-10, 02:42 PM
Could someone please solve the problem for me.....BTW this is NOT a homework problem....It is a final test review problem....I learn differently than most.....By looking at the steps involved in solving the problem along with the answer I can use deductive reasoning as to why those methods were used....TIA

Register to reply