Graphing Surfaces with Non-Linear Equations: What Are My Options?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a tangent plane to a surface at a specific point and the challenges of graphing surfaces expressed in different ways. The speaker also asks if there are different names for these types of graphs and if there are programs that can graph them. They also mention using multivariable and vector calculus to find the tangent plane.
aarciga
Im trying to check my answers to a problem, and in the past I've used a 3d grapher to graph functions like f(x,y) = whatever.

but now i need to find a tangent plane to a surface at a point.

the surface is:

x2y+y2z-z2x=1but i don't know how to go about graphing something expressed that way.

are there different names to these types of graphs?

are there programs that will graph things expressed other than z=[stuff w/ x and y]?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
aarciga said:
Im trying to check my answers to a problem, and in the past I've used a 3d grapher to graph functions like f(x,y) = whatever.

but now i need to find a tangent plane to a surface at a point.

the surface is:

x2y+y2z-z2x=1

but i don't know how to go about graphing something expressed that way.

are there different names to these types of graphs?

are there programs that will graph things expressed other than z=[stuff w/ x and y]?

If you find the tangent in orthogonal directions you should be able to use the tangent vectors in both directions to compute the normal and hence the tangent plane. Have you studied multivariable and vector calculus?

im in a multivariable calculus class right now, and the point given was (2,3,-1)

what i did was take the partials w/ respect to x y and z.
then i plugged in the values at that point.

then i plugged that into the equation

fx(x-x0)+fy(y-y0)+fz(z-z0)= 0

i ended up getting 11x-2y+13z = 3

but my question was mainly about the notation of the equations.
some expressed in terms of z or f(x,y). this one is given as a function of (x,y,z) = constant

i guess its like comparing graphs like x2+y2=1 to f(x)= y= 3x+1
its harder to graph the first one on a calculator because its not a function of x.

are there names for different forms of the equations?
and also, is there a good graphing program to graph those kinds of surfaces.

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of non-linear equations that can be graphed?

There are several types of non-linear equations that can be graphed, including quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations.

2. Can non-linear equations only be graphed on a 2-dimensional plane?

No, non-linear equations can also be graphed in 3-dimensional space, creating a surface rather than a traditional line graph.

3. What are the advantages of graphing surfaces with non-linear equations?

Graphing surfaces with non-linear equations allows for a better understanding of the relationship between multiple variables, as well as the ability to visualize complex data sets.

4. What are some common software programs used for graphing surfaces with non-linear equations?

Some common software programs used for graphing surfaces with non-linear equations include MATLAB, Mathematica, and GeoGebra.

5. Are there any limitations to graphing surfaces with non-linear equations?

Yes, one limitation is that it can be difficult to accurately graph surfaces with highly complex equations. Additionally, interpreting the resulting graph may also be challenging for those who are not familiar with non-linear equations.