Register to reply

Dirac equation & Dirac matrices

by eoghan
Tags: dirac, equation, matrices
Share this thread:
eoghan
May3-10, 12:22 PM
P: 181
Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
IcedEcliptic
May3-10, 12:37 PM
P: 274
Quote Quote by eoghan View Post
Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks
You can represent a matrix of any complexity you wish, but only experimentation can show if there is something physical about it. A string theorist might have an 11X11 matrix, but that does not prove 11 dimensions in reality I think. I don't know for sure, and I am new. I hope this is not presumptuous.

Register to reply