Mousetrap car material suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about a physics assessment to lift a 10g film barrister one meter high as slow as possible. The equipments provided include 2m of string, a standard mousetrap, 1.5L PET Bottle + Lids, up to 3m of Bamboos, paper clips, and any type of glue. The person has everything figured out except for how to slow down the motion of the mousetrap. They have considered using the maleability of the bamboos and making a spring with cardboard, but those ideas did not work. Suggestions are needed and the person clarifies that they are using the 13th image on the website provided for the mousetrap. There is also
Hyperreality
I am currently doing a physics assessment. The aim of the assessment is to lift a 10g film barrister one meter high as slow as possible. The equipments provided are:

2m of string
A standard mousetrap
1.5L PET Bottle + Lids
Up to 3m of Bamboos
Paper Clips (Use for adhesive, not for construction)
Any types of glues.(Used for adhesive, not for construction)
A cardboard.

So far I got everything figured out and ready to go, but I cannot find any ways to slow down the motion of the mousetrap. I was thinking of using the maleiability of the bamboos to slow down the motion of the mousetrap, but I doubt that would work. I also thought of making a spring by using the cardboard to counter the spring force of the mousetrap, but that didn't have much effect.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

The mousetrap I'm using is the 13th image on this website:

http://ww.udel.edu/~mcdonald/mousetrap.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hyperreality,
can you make the bamboo grow?

Unfortunately no, the 3m bamboos are provided by my teacher.

Could you use one of the bamboos to extend the mousetraps swing, then the differentiated sizing of the 1.5 L bottles neck, and body, to effectively "Gear" the speed, and thereby decerease its overall speed??

What materials are best for building a mousetrap car?

The best materials for building a mousetrap car are lightweight and strong. Some suggestions include balsa wood for the body, plastic or metal wheels, and a sturdy string or wire for the axles. It is also important to use a high-quality mousetrap for maximum power.

Can I use any type of wheels for my mousetrap car?

While it is possible to use a variety of wheels for your mousetrap car, it is important to choose ones that are lightweight and have low friction. This will allow the car to move faster and more efficiently. Some suitable options include plastic spools, CDs, or small toy wheels.

What is the best way to attach the wheels to my mousetrap car?

The best way to attach wheels to a mousetrap car is by using a sturdy and lightweight material such as dowel rods or wire. These can be inserted through the center of the wheels and attached to the body of the car. It is also important to make sure the wheels are securely attached to prevent them from falling off during use.

How can I increase the speed and distance of my mousetrap car?

There are several ways to increase the speed and distance of a mousetrap car. One method is to reduce the weight of the car by using lightweight materials. Another is to increase the tension on the mousetrap by using a longer string or wire. Additionally, reducing friction on the axles and wheels can also improve performance.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building and using a mousetrap car?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building and using a mousetrap car. Always wear protective gear such as gloves and eye protection when handling sharp objects or tools. Make sure to test the car in a safe and open area to avoid injury to yourself or others. And never aim or throw the car at another person or animal.