View Poll Results: How much information on the Internet is reasonably accurate?
<5% 4 26.67%
5% to 10% 1 6.67%
10% to 20% 3 20.00%
20% to 30% 0 0%
30% to 50% 2 13.33%
50% to 70% 0 0%
70% to 90% 1 6.67%
>90% 0 0%
The percentage is indeterminable 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

How much information on the Internet is reasonably accurate?

by Loren Booda
Tags: accurate, information, internet
Share this thread:
Loren Booda
Aug21-04, 10:44 PM
P: 3,408
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
Xasuke
Aug21-04, 11:00 PM
P: 13
Resonably?
Loren Booda
Aug21-04, 11:08 PM
P: 3,408
"Reasonably" in a scientific, philosophical or legal sense. Use your own judgment.

Evo
Aug21-04, 11:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,488

I had to vote for less than 5% because of the sheer number of websites and places where people can post garbage on the internet. I would say the valid websites are scarce in comparison.
Moonbear
Aug21-04, 11:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
I voted that the percentage is indeterminable. I really have no idea, there's a lot of junk on the internet, and I certainly haven't explored it all and researched it all to find out how much is accurate. Plus, it depends on what you mean by accurate. Someone's blog site that just tells their thoughts in diary form is accurate in that it reflects their opinions, but their opinions may be based on inaccuracies, so I don't know how that gets scored. But there are days when I'm not even sure if the AP and Reuters news sites can be considered reasonably accurate. There seems to be growing laziness in reporting, with a real lack of good investigative reporting and first person accounting of events, so we just get the condensed version put out in the press release package.
gravenewworld
Aug22-04, 12:37 AM
P: 1,406
If a source doesn't come from a website ending in a .edu, .org, .gov, or from a data base like lexus nexus etc. I usually take the information on the site with a grain of salt. I remember from my English college classes that there are standards that you should use when determining whether a website has credible information or not. The website should always list the author and when the last time it was updated. If any grammatical or spelling mistakes are made then the webpage should be disregarded immediately. Citations should also be made. I usually never look for information on .com websites.

Register to reply