drunken philosophy

by Math Is Hard
Tags: drunken, philosophy
Phrak
May14-10, 11:10 PM
P: 4,513
Innnteresting.

The cannabis induced twaddle called postmodernism can be synthesized with the Postmodernism Generator.

Perhaps there is another for simulating brain + alcohol = philo. I haven't located how this guy identified his synthetic generator, nor if he has been mixing martinis in his hard drive.
DaveC426913
May14-10, 11:18 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
That's If I could save Klein in a bottle.
cronxeh
May15-10, 07:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
He's an engineer.
eek. Pocket protectors come to mind.
Math Is Hard
May15-10, 12:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
You can say that again.
DaveC426913
May16-10, 12:12 AM
P: 15,325
He's an engineer.
Q: How do you tell your engineer is an extrovert?

A: When he talks to you, he stares at your shoes.
EnumaElish
May18-10, 01:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
If there's more than two guys and more than two brunettes (in fact, at least as many brunettes as guys) as in the movie, then it's not a true Nash equilibrium. Any of the guys could improve their lot by agreeing to all go for the brunettes, but then switching his choice at the last second ...... with the problem that more than one would opt for this strategy.
Game theory is not famous for explaining how players reach an equilibrium, in a step-by-step fashion. Even with one blonde and one brunette, and two guys, how does each guy know which of the two women that the other guy is going to approach, so he should stay away from her? If the guys talk and come up with a plan before they approach the women, is this any longer a "non-cooperative" game?

What game theory is good at is to postulate that if (somehow) one guy ends up with the blonde and the other with the brunette, neither will have an independent reason to change his preference, supposing the other does not change his.
Moonbear
May18-10, 07:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
My worst experience ever at a party was to be cornered by a drunk philosopher...well, a philosophy grad student anyway, so on her way to becoming a philosopher. A lecture on reductionism is no less fun when drunk than sober, by the way.

Edit: Okay, maybe it wasn't the WORST experience ever, but it was memorably unpleasant.
IcedEcliptic
May18-10, 08:29 PM
P: 274
My finest philosophical moment came when my rel-phil 101 teacher hosted a texas hold 'em game and revealed that he is was a genuine master of the banjo. :)
cronxeh
May18-10, 08:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
My worst experience ever at a party was to be cornered by a drunk philosopher...well, a philosophy grad student anyway, so on her way to becoming a philosopher. A lecture on reductionism is no less fun when drunk than sober, by the way.

Edit: Okay, maybe it wasn't the WORST experience ever, but it was memorably unpleasant.
Did you do the 'what did the 5 fingers say to the face?' joke on her?
Moonbear
May18-10, 09:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
Did you do the 'what did the 5 fingers say to the face?' joke on her?
No, by that time of the evening, every time I held up my hand, it had 10 fingers. Instead, I had to wait for someone else to wander too close and then tell her something like, "Oh, I think that person is also a reductionist and would love to hear your thoughts on it."

Okay, I have a drunken philosophy topic inspired by music. Everyone has been posting about Dio's death on Facebook, so how could I not consider something inspired by Dio.

"Rainbows in the Dark." Do they exist? (Please define existence first.)
Math Is Hard
May18-10, 10:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
How many fingers do reductionists have?
turbo
May18-10, 10:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Two fingers of single-malt, please.
Moonbear
May18-10, 10:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Definitely none. They just have collections of molecules that have aggregated into the shape of fingers. (If that's completely wrong, "Blame it on the alcohol.")
EnumaElish
May19-10, 09:04 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
Exactly as many as the number they need to summarize the output of their chemical reactions, using the binary system, to the comprehensivist they've just met.
IcedEcliptic
May19-10, 09:06 AM
P: 274
10 more than a solipsist will admit to having.

Register to reply