Register to reply

Diffraction: how to know the amount of slits from a diffraction pattern?

by Paavo T
Tags: diffraction, fraunhofer, slits
Share this thread:
Paavo T
May12-10, 02:43 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are at least two different situations. If you have N-2 middle minimums, the amount of slits is N. Please, see the bottom left picture. The case with no such thing is the question about. How can I determine the amount of slits with the other cases? Please, see the other pictures in the link.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]a sin(\theta) = n \lambda[/tex]

where a is the width of the separtion of two side-by-side slits.

Intensity formula with angle:
[tex]I = I_{0} \left[ \frac{sin \left( \pi b sin \left( \frac{\theta}{\lambda} \right) \right) }{\pi b sin \left( \frac{\theta}{\lambda}} \right) \right]^{2} \left[\frac{sin\left(N \pi a sin\left(\frac{\theta}{\lambda}\right)\right)}{sin \left( \pi a sin\left( \frac{\theta}{\lambda}}\right) \right) \right]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If you have 2 slits, then you have 5 main maximums. My proposal that the amount of maximums is 2N+1, where N is the amount of slits was rejected, by my teacher. You can see that it is not the case from the Wolfram link above. Then I tried to delve into the wave function but I am really lost with it. Cannot see how it helps in finding the the number of slits.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye

Register to reply