How do you calculate the resistance in a coil?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the resistance in a coil without the amperage value. The speaker asks if it is possible and provides information about the voltage, coil diameter, amount of turns, and coil material type. Another person suggests using the concept of resistivity to calculate resistance without knowing the amperage.
Sirsh
Hi all. I'm just wondering if it is possible to calculate the resistance in a coil without the amperage value? I've got voltage,coil-diametre, amount of turns, coils material type.

The only way i think it is possible if i set a ampmetre into the circuit. is there any way?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Hi all. I'm just wondering if it is possible to calculate the resistance in a coil without the amperage value? I've got voltage,coil-diametre, amount of turns, coils material type.

The only way i think it is possible if i set a ampmetre into the circuit. is there any way?

Thank you.

Google "resistivity"

1. How do you calculate the resistance in a coil?

The resistance in a coil can be calculated using the formula R = ρ x (L/A), where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the coil, and A is the cross-sectional area of the coil.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance in a coil?

The unit of measurement for resistance in a coil is ohms (Ω).

3. How does the number of turns in a coil affect its resistance?

The number of turns in a coil is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the number of turns increases, the resistance also increases.

4. Can the material of the coil affect its resistance?

Yes, the material of the coil can affect its resistance. Different materials have different resistivities, which can impact the overall resistance of the coil.

5. What is the impact of coil diameter on its resistance?

The diameter of a coil has an inverse relationship with its resistance. This means that as the diameter increases, the resistance decreases, and vice versa.