May14-10, 09:59 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 869
Hi,

According to eg Nakahara's conventions the Laplacian on a form K is given by

[tex]
\Delta K = (dd^{\dagger} + d^{\dagger}d)K
[/tex]

In my case K is a two form living in R^3. I've calculated the Laplacian and arrive at

[tex]
\Delta K = \Bigl( \frac{1}{3!}\epsilon^{klm}\epsilon^n_{\ ij}\partial_k \partial_n K_{lm} - \frac{1}{4}\partial_{i}\partial^k K_{jk} \Bigr) dx^i \wedge dx^j
[/tex]

However, the answer seems a little odd to me. Does anyone have a reference where Laplacians of two forms are evaluated, or some comment? Thanks in forward! :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
haushofer
May14-10, 02:36 PM
Sci Advisor
And another question: is on a compact manifold a harmonic form neccesarily constant, or is this only true for 0-forms (functions)?
zhentil
May17-10, 03:24 PM
P: 491
How would you go about defining a constant form?

The obvious answer to this would be that you can't define it in a coordinate-invariant way. The generalization of the idea of constant functions to forms is with the definition: a constant function is d and d* closed.

st0ck
May27-10, 08:58 AM
P: 3

Laplacian of a 2-form

For your first question, if the codifferential is defined with a sign (-1)^n(p+1), it can be shown that in euclidean space in general laplace beltrami of a form is the same as the usual old laplacian of every function factor (times the wedged covectors). It is a lengthy calculation and took me some hours, but it works ;)
haushofer
May28-10, 03:36 PM
Sci Advisor
Hi,

but that would mean that my calculation isn't right?

About this "constant form": that should be zero, ofcourse; if a tensor is zero in one coordinate system, it's zero in every coordinate system. My bad ;)

Register to reply