Transient response of a control system.

In summary: Electronic components like amplifiers, diodes, and circuits have a transient response because they have finite time response.
koolraj09
Hi guys.
I am a Mechanical Engineering Student but we've a course called Control systems. My question is why does any system(physical like fan,motor or electronic like amplifier) have a TRANSIENT RESPONSE and specially why do electronic components like amplifiers,diode or for that matter any electronic circuit have a transient response. A physical interpretation(in depth)would really help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any physical system has an inherent inertia , so it takes a finite amount of time to reach the full response.

Being an electrical engineer I will illustrate using an example from electrical engineering.
for example , consider an series RC circuit of first order , the time constant is RC
250px-RC_Series_Filter_%28with_V%26I_Labels%29.svg.png

Let the input voltage be a step voltage with magnitude V.
Let the response to the input voltage be Vc(t). i.e we take output as voltage across the capacitor.
Then , Vc(t) will be governed by the equation :-
d73dd886b48875a2e7e542c8d6eba751.png

As you see in above response the transient response is basically the exponential term . if you want it to be zero RC must equal zero. when RC = 0 the response would be simply Vc(t) = V for t > 0 . So the transient response is completely absent.

So you want a circuit with either R=0 or C=0 or both . This does not happen in practical circuits . Any capacitance has some leakage resistance .Any resistance has some capacitance.
Such 'deviations' from the ideal conditions we desire happen in other systems also be it mechanical system or electrical system or any other control system. This leads to the inertia

Last edited:
As an ME you must know your quantities like momentum, force, and mass pretty well right? Have a look at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Electro-Mechanical_Analogies" . It's a nice way to bridge the two fields.

It's more than that though. You could use the analogies to build a circuit that acts as an analog computer that simulates some mechanical system.

Last edited by a moderator:
koolraj09 said:
Hi guys.
My question is why does any system(physical like fan,motor or electronic like amplifier) have a TRANSIENT RESPONSE
The reason is due to presence of energy storage elements. For example a voltage source connected to a resistor (assuming everything in and out to be ideal) will not have a transient response. Once capacitance and/or inductance come in the way, due to finite time needed for these energy storage elements to respond, we have a transient response.

What is a transient response in a control system?

A transient response in a control system refers to the behavior of the system when it is subjected to a sudden change or disturbance. It is a temporary response that occurs before the system reaches its steady-state.

What factors affect the transient response of a control system?

The transient response of a control system is affected by various factors such as the system's time constant, damping ratio, and input signal. The time constant refers to the time it takes for the system to reach 63.2% of its steady-state value, while the damping ratio determines the rate at which the system oscillates before reaching its steady-state.

How is the transient response of a control system analyzed?

The transient response of a control system can be analyzed by plotting its step response, which shows the system's behavior when subjected to a step input. The response can also be analyzed using mathematical equations that describe the system's behavior, such as the transfer function and differential equations.

What is overshoot in the transient response of a control system?

Overshoot in the transient response of a control system refers to the temporary increase in the output signal above the steady-state value. It occurs when the system has a high damping ratio, causing it to oscillate before reaching its steady-state. Overshoot can also be caused by a sudden change in the input signal.

How can the transient response of a control system be improved?

The transient response of a control system can be improved by adjusting the system's parameters such as the time constant and damping ratio. Using a higher proportional gain in the system's controller can also improve the transient response by reducing the time it takes to reach the steady-state. Additionally, using a derivative controller can help reduce overshoot in the transient response.